We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venezuela general safety and motorcycle trip plan

Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Venezuela general safety and motorcycle trip plan

hallo

i want go to venezuela on my motorcycle / 2 bikes/.

We want to go through whole venezuela on roads. Is it globally safe going on stadard map roads ?.

We need fuel station for about every 200km, and every night sure some motel for sleep. Is it possible to get it in standard conditions?

What can we see / meaning interesting venezuela points / angel falls and others/ on motorcycle without long walking and boating ?

Would you recommend to get borders for some short trips / guayana, brasil, columbia./

is there gsm signal, services moto/car , medical in whole country? / out of cities.../

is necessary to put what all vaccine, medical stuff? varies at all on all info channells...

any other advice would be great.

thank you very much

Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venezuela general safety and motorcycle trip plan

Nobody been there ?

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venezuela general safety and motorcycle trip plan

Generally the roads that we have traveled on in Eastern Venezuela are in poor condition with many holes & bumps.

I wouldn't imagine that a trip with a motorcycle would be very comfortable.

Infrastructure for tourism in the interior of Venezuela is very poor when it comes to hotels, etc. You need to plan very carefully where you will be each day & use TripAdvisor to make reservations ahead of time. Many places will not accept people who just show up at the door due to security concerns.

Medical care varies greatly throughout Venezuela but there are usually private clinics in the larger centers. My experience with government medical services has been generally very poor.

GPS works in Venezuela. As there has been very little new road construction in the last 12 years most maps will be up to date.

Gas stations are plentiful & gasoline is free.

Hope this helps.

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venezuela general safety and motorcycle trip plan

A motocycle trip of Venezuela and Colombia would be a blast!!

I have driven an suv from Margarita to Ecuador via Colombia several times and I see no real problem doing it on a motorcycle-in fact I have seen several morotcyclists doing just that over the years.

Mind you- as PlayaEl Agua says-if you are a novice biker I would imagine you would find it not as comfortable as an automobile but it would be an incredible experience!!!

You do not day what type of motorcycle you would be using. The type of bike would depend on where you could go.

Main roads in Venezuela are all paved albeit some are in need of maintainance-but generally not a problem. The main road to la Gran Sabana is a quite good paved road but the secondary roads there are but 4x4 roads-same goes for Los LLanos.

Areas of interest in Venezuela-Gran Sabana, Los Llanos, Margarita, Los Andes, Choroní, Morrocoy and much more.

As posted, once in the interior of the country you should plan out your nightly accomodations ahead of time using the internet to locate decent lodgings, but I have found that if you put a little effort into it decent accomodations can be found almost everywhere in the country in the form of ''posadas'' or small normally family run guesthouses.

There are several web sites that cater to these types of lodgings in Venezuela and Colombia.

If you like I can share any info that I have concerning road travel in both Colombia and Venezuela just send me a private message here and I would be more than happy to share informations with you.

Also-I have seen several blogs on the subject and some of those dealt specifically with motorcycle travel.

Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venezuela general safety and motorcycle trip plan

Thank you very much for info

Still: can you write more about dangerous stuff, problems with service on Moto. What will I do in mountains in trouble with Moto , sleeping in mountains in tents, safety, medical or high sea level breathing problems, how people act in out of city , or other big problems in whole vevezuela

Ps what aero company do you recommend from Europe

How many money and what ( dollars us) should I bring, where to change.

Mean real tips for better being there.

ThNk you again

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
515 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venezuela general safety and motorcycle trip plan

Kola, I was a biker for 20 years. I've been all over Venezuela on bikes, from 400cc to 1500cc. There are many interesting road trips. The biker favorites are Mérida and the Andes in general and the Island of Margarita. There are many biker and motorcycle groups in many parts of Venezuela that would be happy to help you guys. What types of motorcycles do you ride (Custom, Street, Dirt, or All-Terrain)?

Send me a private message and I'll send you a lot of my biker info, from the gas stops on the main roads to the medical helicopter services in case of accidents. You must know the traffic tricks to riding a bike here, how to deal with police road-blocks, to where NOT to park your bike.

When you come through Caracas, I can take you to the motorcycle bars and places!

6. Re: Venezuela general safety and motorcycle trip plan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 08:16