We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venezuela north coast

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Venezuela north coast

I will travel to Venezuela in November. I am interested in National Parks like Henri Pittier and Morooccoy. Maybe you can suggest one of those parks more than other one? Does anybody knows - are there some transportation to those places from Caracas airport or city? Thank you!

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venezuela north coast

Both of them are absolutely beautiful, and different. In Morrocoy you will find beautiful beaches, crystal water, white sand.. The Henry Pittier park is different, u find beautiful beaches surrounded by mountains, and a nice town with lots of nice people and culture... I suggest u to do both if u can, a couple of days on each is more than enough. Personally, i love Morrocoy, the beaches there are one of the most beautiful in Venezuela, if not the most! There are no direct public transportation to either of them, to go to Morrocoy u have to go to Valencia by bus and then take another bus, for the HP u need to change in Maracay city. The best thing u can do is go by taxi (a bit pricey but easier and safer as u don't know the ways, roads, etc)

Any other question u have ill be happy to answer. Have a great trip and enjoy Venezuela!

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
515 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venezuela north coast

Butterfly, OK, Henri Pittier NP has some coastal towns that have a long beach each. The most famous of this park is Puerto Colombia (known to the locals as Choroní). It is a small coastal village, very colorful, with many "posadas" to stay in, from fancy ones to simple cheap ones. The inhabitants of these towns are mostly black (descendants from slaves that worked the plantations). When they play their drum music called "tambores" on weekends, they really get the party started. The beach at Choroni is a long, palmtree-filled beach with thick sand and blue waters. To get to Choroní from Caracas, you take a bus to Maracay in the morning, and from there take a bus to Choroní to make it before nightfall. Sounds simple but there are many details. Do you homework.

Morrocoy NP has two main towns, Tucacas and Chichiriviche, where you stay. These towns are not as nice and cute as Choroni. They are just...towns. Every morning you go to the dock and take a boat to any of the dozens of "cayos" (keys) that have beautiful white or light sand beaches and turquoise water. My favorite Cayos are Sombrero and Pescadores (youtube them). The boats charge you a fee to take you and pick you up in the afternoon. Many posadas in Morrocoy offer the boat service already. To get to Morrocoy, you must take the bus from Caracas to Valencia and then take another to Chichiriviche (best option) or Tucacas. Also do your research.

If you're going in that direction, there is a much better route that I can recommend that includes going over the coastal mountains.

In my opinion, the most beautiful and perfect beaches in Venezuela are in Los Roques and La Tortuga. I consider them the most pristine in the Caribbean. However, getting out there is expensive, THANKFULLY (massive tourism would destroy them).

Between Choroni and Chichiriviche, if you want the one with the best beaches, then Morrocoy is better. If you want the one with the most authentic town, then it's Choroni. Seeing the videos on youtube and the pictures in google, you will understand.

Let me know if you need help getting to know Caracas (where to go, accomodation, food, etc). It is my specialty.

Edited: 06 August 2011, 06:39
Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Venezuela north coast

Yessica F and Nelven - many thanks. Now I have info to search and google. I will come back to you in case of questions.

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Venezuela north coast

Nelven, what do you think, is it ok to do this kind of trip if we are 2 persons travelling together? I mean - we are not locals and we are first time here - would the public buses and cities you mentioned be ok to getting through all of it? Actually we are travelling always by ourselves - not in tourist groups, but about Venezuela you know...those things about safety etc. ?!

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
515 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venezuela north coast

Ok, from your picture, you can look local, but the locals that look like you are normally rich so you do not see them on buses, but you do see them in malls, clubs, restaurants, etc. Not walking on the street though. The white population is like 30% here, and of those, I would say 90% are Mediterranean whites, so northern-european whites are fewer, but not so few that you will stand out in the cities. In a mall in Caracas, no one will think that you are from another country unless you DRESS like a tourist. But hey, if you tan a bit, it's better. CONCLUSION: there is no LOCAL look (I for example, look more local in southern Italy than I do here).

Anyway, talking about safety, criminals here are opportunists. They are not looking for toursist, they are looking for anyone that's easy. Rich Venezuelans are their prime target. They are after their cars, homes, gold jewelry, bank accounts, and smartphones. So if you carry/have none of that with you, you are unnatractive to them. You'll be fine as long as you stick to the commercial areas.

And as for the buses, all my guests travel around the country solo in the buses and they are ok. So you should be ok too.

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
49 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venezuela north coast

Hi!

I'm wondering where to take the beach holiday part of our trip to Venezuela - Isla Margarita or Los Roques. As I would like to go to Henry Pittier NP anyway, would it be smart to stay in Choroni a bit longer (saving also costs) and then got o Los Roques instead of Isla Margarita?

As we'd be there for 5 days (Sunday-Friday) in low season (October) - would that make Los Roques more affordable? What would be the midrange budget starting from Caracas (or Choroni) ?

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Venezuela north coast

If you take part of your vacation in Margarita and part in los Roques it would be much easier as far as getting to the two goes.

I assume you will be arriving and leaveing the country via CCS. From CCS you can catch a quick flight to Margarita, spend a few days there, fly to Los Roques, spend a few days there and either return to Caracas via Margarita if it is cheaper or return to Caracas directly from Los Roques.

Choroní or Morrocoy would involve some bus or long taxi rides-if you have only 5 days you wiill be very short on time to do Henry Pittier NP and Choroní AND los Roques or Margarita.

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
515 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Venezuela north coast

In 5 days you cannot really DO all of that, you can just whisk by it all. You will spend more time getting to airports and terminals than actually enjoying your vacation. Choose two destinations.

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Venezuela north coast

Ditto nelven-IMO-if you want a beach holiday and want to do 2 destinations to maximize your 5 days do margarita and los roques.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Venezuela north coast

But if you want something more typical Venezuelan, then Chorini is a better bet, as well as the other mainland places. I guess it depends if you're really interested in a "tourist place feel", or the feel of being in the "real" Venezuela, etc.