We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venezuela safe?

Venezuela safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 14:43
La Colonia Tovar...
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Venezuela safe?

Hi, the usual caution and common sense you use in all big cities in the world will do, this is just another third world country like all the others. the downside is you have to bring cash otherwise you're stuck with the official rate and the card copying scam at the ATMs. hire someone to meet you at the airport and drive you to a safe hotel plus give you local currency at a good rate.

weatherwise december is a good time except for margarita where it rains a lot in Dec and Jan, are you using buses, planes?

2. Re: Venezuela safe?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venezuela safe?

Domestic flights in Venezuelaare quite inexpensive at the parrallel rate of exchange. The down side is many times there are delays of departures so one must be patient and have sense of humor.

If it is in your budget flying is the best way to get around the country when it comes to long distances-and you will have more time at your destinations to enjoy what you came for (to see and enjoy the country)

Margarita is a good location to make as your base to see the rest of the country.

You can fly to most of the points of interest and there are several good tour operators to book your excursions with.

Check out Magic Tours for excursions on and around Margarita and Osprey Expeditions of Venezuela for eco tours to Delta Orinoco, Canaima, Angel Falls, Los Roques, Angel Falls, ect.

La Colonia Tovar...
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Venezuela safe?

local flights are a quick and reasonably priced way to get around, your other option is long overnight bus rides and the hassle isn't worth the money you save. delays are common though so bring a good book. do you have an itinerary worked out?

5. Re: Venezuela safe?

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venezuela safe?

When you say hire someone to pick you up from thre airport do you know how you would go about doing this?

I am travelling into Caracas in 10 days and as yet havent booked a hotel, I was going to get a taxi into Altermira or Chacao when I got there from the airport. Is this not advisable?

7. Re: Venezuela safe?

americana en India
Level Contributor
34 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Venezuela safe?

what about traveling to los Andes in Venezuela, Merida, Trujillo Valera....

Edited: 05 April 2012, 19:05
Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
9 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Venezuela safe?

Hi from Venezuela, Margarita is a very good location even in december, book a good hotel and if you want to visit other places , always go with a travell agent. If you decide to come I can advice some. Me and my family go every two monts to margarita and we love it.

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
9 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Venezuela safe?

I just came from Trujillo we where hiking the Andes mountains and we climbed La teta de Niquitao , beatifull, the people is very friendly and it is very safe , there are lots of posadas very nice and you can hire a guide .