We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caracas airport

Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Caracas airport

Hi there,

I'm flying into Caracas airport in June where I'll be met by some friends that I'll be staying with. I'm an Irish girl in her twenties and I'm travelling alone. My friend's have warned me that when I collect my luggage, security go through it. They also recommended that if I bring over presents I should take the tags off them as security officers might take them. Also they suggested I don't bring any valuables. Is this the case and has anyone ever had problems at this point of the journey?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Caracas airport

As a tourist you may not be hassled at customs, but Venezuelans often have problems. When flying into Venezuela, I always take off price stickers and the packaging off new items - it can save a lot of hassle!

As for valuables, if you don't really need it leave it at home. If you must bring valuables - do not put them in the suitcases, whether you have a lock on it or not - keep it in in your hand luggage.

Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caracas airport

Thank you very much for your advice, I really appreciate it :-)

Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caracas airport

Thank you very much for your advice, I really appreciate it :-)

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caracas airport

As a tourist you most likely will not have your luggage searched by customs, altho it will be x-rayed and if you have anything unusual that shows on the xray you may have you bags inspected.

If you do bring gifts for your friends take them out of thier packaging and take the price tags off but do bring along the receipts of purchase just in case you are asked for them. Do NOT pack in your checked luggage anything of great value and leave your expensive jewlry at home.

You are supposedly allowed to bring in up to usd $1000 in value of new items if they are for personal use. Things such as televisions and such are allowed through while I have seen Venezuelans be hassled for things such as computers, ect.

I personally brought a carpentry tool (new and in a large box) with me from Miami and was pulled out of line and told I would have to pay duties on it snce customs accertained it to be not for personal use-after much delay and discussion with customs agents I was able to convince them that, yes, it was for personal use as carpentry is my hobby.

Rather stupid that if it had been to use for commercial end it was not going to be admitted free of duty. Seems like they would want people working!!

If you bring something that is dutiable it is a long prosess to do the papaerwork.

Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caracas airport

Oh thank you so much for your detailed response, that really helps and I'm a little more at ease now.

Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caracas airport

Just another quick question . . If I remove all the tags and packaging, do I still need to declare these items if they are less than $1000?

Thank you

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Caracas airport

The customs declaration you will be given has, on the back, space to fill out all of the new items you are bringing into the country and thier value.

You should fill this out but I normally do not unless I have something that is obviously being brought in new and in its original packaging and normally that would mean large things like televisions, desk top computers, ect. Small items that are not in thier original packaging look like they are for your use.

Last time to Miami I brought a large woodworking tool (new in its box) that I paid only $500 for and also had two new iphones ($800 each) not in thier packaging just in my carry on.

I declared the woodworking tool since it was obviously new but did not declare the two phones that would have put me way over the $1000 limit.

I was hassled about the tool that I did declare and not the phones which I did not declare!!

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,297 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Caracas airport

We came back last year with all sorts of stuff which I listed on the form. The total came to less than $1,000. They didn't even open the bags.

I might add that we came through Barcelona, not Caracas, where they may be a little more lax.

I think the key is keeping the total to less than $1000 and you'll have no trouble.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Caracas airport

I have only ever declared one item before on those forms and was asked all sorts of questions about it, so best to leave it blank in my experience!

Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Caracas airport

Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to reply. It's been very helpful.

Get answers to your questions about Venezuela