We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus travel

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bus travel

Hey so I'm trying to plan my one month trip to south America. . I'm trying to find out bus travel times, cost and a schedule for the following buses so I can work out if some of the trips I would be better of done by plane

Caracas - San Gil

San Gil - bogota

Bogota- Cali

Cali - popayan

Popayan- banos

Banos - Lima

Lima- copacabana

Copacabana - puerto iguazu

Puerto - Sao paulo

Sao paulo - rio de janeiro

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus travel

Sweetnina3-

You are going to find that most bus services from ( lets say your fist choise Caracas, Venezuela to San Gil, Colombia) will necessitate a change of bus companies at the border of the contries you will be crossing from/to.

In the case of Caracas to San Gil you would change buses lines at the border (in Cucutá, Colombia. For schedules Caracas to San Antonio (border) see: http://www.busven.com

Equally when you cross the southern border of Colombia into Ecuador. The Ecuador to Peru route used to have a through bus from Quito to LIma but that was years ago and I am not sure it still operates.

Some of the really long runs like Caracas to Cucutá and Ecuador to Lima are REALLY long better to fly from Quito to LIma.

San Gil to Bogotá is not a really long trip, Bogotá to Cali is about six hours Cali to Popayán is about four hours or less, Popayán to the border with Ecuador is about six hours, border to Quito is another 5, ect.

I would suggest you study your route and post in each separate countries forum for ´more accurate information for the routes within that country.

You do have a rather ambitious schedule as far as traveling it all by land.

You would be spending most of your month of travel on buses!!

Fly the long routes such as the north of Peru, for example, has its things to see and do but a large part of the trip to LIma from Ecuador is barren desert.

2. Re: Bus travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 13:15