We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Across Venezuela

7 posts
Save Topic
Across Venezuela

Hi guys my girlfriend and I are going to be bussing around SA in dec and Jan. We pretty much have it all sussed up until Colombia. Then we need to get across venezuela as we are flying out from Trinidad to NYC. Currently we live in chile and a lot of chileans have warned us off venezuela altogether but its kind of a necessity. So I was wondering what the safest way to cross the border was, what the best way to get across the country was and anything else we should look out for?

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Across Venezuela

Crossing the border at either Cucutá (southern entery point) or Maicao (northern border crossing) is no big deal and nothing really to advise as far as safety-just use common sense precautions as you would anywhere.

If you are coming from the south the most direct route is Bogotá on to Cucutá.

If traveling by bus you will need to change bus lines at the border at either crossing. There are many inter-city express buses.

There is a lot to do and many beautiful destinations in Venezuela.

If you cross at Cucutá you should spend some time around the Merida area.

Further along you may want to check out Morocoy national park-if you have camping gear you can camp on the keys there for a night or two-check out Cayo Borracho. From there check out Puerto Colombia.

If you want to visit Caracas exercise more caution in the city (you will have to at least pass through for connections onward)

If you fly from Caracas to Trinidad you can take Carribean Airlines or from Margarita Island you can fly CONVIASA airlines to Port of Spain.

To get to Margarita Island there are many inexpensive direct flights from Caracas (45 minute flight).

The other option is ferry to Margarita from Puerto la Cruz. If you are adventurous there is a once weekly ferry service from Guiria to Chaguaramos, Trinidad. Guiria is on the Paria peninsula in Sucre state (far east Venezuela) The Paria peninsula is beautiful and is worth a visit.

Don't let your Chilean friends dissuade you from visiting and enjoying Venezuela.

If you need any more info about traveling in Ecuador, Colombia or my home country, Venezuela feel free to send me a personal message here-have traveled extensively the countries you will be passing through and have driven to Ecuador several times from Margarita island.

Edited: 18 July 2012, 23:28
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Across Venezuela

Thanks very much, that's really helpful. I may just take you up on that offer of more info. Colombia and Venezuela are the countries we know least about so much research is required!!

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
515 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Across Venezuela

langdog...like the other advisor said, crossing the border is not much of a big deal. Travelers do it all the time. There is much to enjoy in Venezuela, from the mountain villages in Mérida, to the white sand beaches of Morrocoy.

4. Re: Across Venezuela

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2013, 10:15