We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

$757.00 Venezuelan Bolivars for SALE from previous trip

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
203 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
$757.00 Venezuelan Bolivars for SALE from previous trip

Hi there, I have $757 Bolivars left from a previous trip. I'm located in the Toronto area. I checked online and the going rate for this is approx. $176.00 USD. Please contact me if interested, we can negotiate the rate as well.

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
515 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: $757.00 Venezuelan Bolivars for SALE from previous trip

Firewoman, I'm sorry you got "stuck" with Venezuelan currency. Our government has done such a fine economic/foreign relations job that our currency is not accepted in banks or exchange anywhere in the world except Venezuela and Cuba. Anyway, I do feel obliged to let you know that that math you did was at the official exchange rate and not the Caracas tourist rate, the regular tourist rate, the black market rate and much less the final user rate. No one in the know will receive your 757 Bolivares for less than the Caracas tourist rate of 7.0 to the USD, putting the value at anywhere form $108 to $84 depending on the rate they use. A fair deal for any traveler would be paying $90 for those BsF 757 (midway between the different rates).

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
203 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: $757.00 Venezuelan Bolivars for SALE from previous trip

I'm well aware of that and that's why my last sentence says we can negotiate the rate.

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: $757.00 Venezuelan Bolivars for SALE from previous trip

The going tourist rate right now is about Bs.8,5.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
203 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: $757.00 Venezuelan Bolivars for SALE from previous trip

I used an online currency exchange site to get an idea. I loved Margarita Island and know how the black market rate can fluctuate and how it works. The rate was about 2.15 BV to 1 USD when I went years ago and the best tourist rate at that time was about 4-4.5 BV to 1 USD. I'm willing to let the BVs go for about $100 USD. Some tourists don't want to take chances with exchanging money on the street, etc... Besides, I may return one day in the next couple of years, who knows.

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: $757.00 Venezuelan Bolivars for SALE from previous trip

Your Bolivares are worth, at best, usd $90.

Edited: 28 August 2012, 14:01
Porlamar, Venezuela
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: $757.00 Venezuelan Bolivars for SALE from previous trip

At the current rate I would say it's more like 80 and considering the situation you really can't expect to get top dollar for them

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: $757.00 Venezuelan Bolivars for SALE from previous trip

Actually the rate has been climbing steadily for the last 2 weeks.

The tourist rate for selling dollars is now around Bs.9 while the rate for buying dollars is around Bs.10,5 or higher. In Cucuta, Colombia (a border town in eastern Colombia) the rate is above Bs.11,5.

8. Re: $757.00 Venezuelan Bolivars for SALE from previous trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 05:19