We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to get a reimbursment from a hotel in Venezuela

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to get a reimbursment from a hotel in Venezuela

I made a reservation at a hotel (Lido) in Caracas (through a travel agency, L&L Tours) but had to cancel due to a family emergency. According to the hotel policy, they would keep one night’s deposit in case of cancellation and I am fine with that, but they are supposed to reimburse the rest of what I paid (5 nights). They don’t seem to want to do this, and the travel agency is not being very helpful at all. I am wondering if there is anything I can do at this point. Has anyone experienced this kind of situation in Venezuela? Is there any kind of consumer protection department through which one can file a complaint (and if there is, would it be worth doing so)?

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to get a reimbursment from a hotel in Venezuela

You probably paid your reservation in US$. or in Bs. converted to your credit card at the official rate. Once those dollars (or any foreign currency) are converted there is no way to convert them back.

If this was a Venezuelan tour agency then they paid the bill at the hotel in Bolivars.

If there is a refund from the hotel then they will reimburse the tour agency in Bolivars.

The problem now is what rates the agency used.

You can't send someone outside Venezuela US$ from inside Venezuela due to exchange controls.

In the meantime there has also been a devaluation of the official rate & the unofficial rate has skyrocketed.

As far as I know there is no agency that would help you as the problem is government created by their crazy exchange policies.

Best advice is push the travel agency for a refund or, better yet, a credit for the 4 nights. If you can get that then it would be a win.

Good luck.

Edited: 02 March 2013, 18:13
2. Re: Trying to get a reimbursment from a hotel in Venezuela

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2014, 06:15