We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time of year to visit...

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
179 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Best time of year to visit...

I am rather naive as to the climate in this part of the world so I wondered what would be considered as the best time of year to visit?

Is there a rainy season? When are the islands full of tourists?

Also, can anyone recommend the best way to go about booking a trip here, i.e. is it better to book a package through a tour operator or book flights/accommodation separate?

Any info is greatly appreciated :)

Kiwi in the Cooks
Level Contributor
559 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time of year to visit...

Kia Orana,

The answers to your questions as follows and I am sure others will add to this to give you the information that you would like.

*.In my opinion the months of July,August,September and maybe into October are good months to visit.

However in saying that, July is a very busy month and if that were the month you chose to come it pays to book well in advance.

*We have what is known as the cyclone/rainy season between November and March

*My suggestion would be to book yourself.There are plenty of sites for accomodation...e.g Travelmaxia,www.ck.etc and Trip Advisor has excellent reviews on accomodations here.

Not only that you get to take advantage of specials and different offers from accomodators.Often too in emailing with some of the smaller self contained places you can set up a nice little relationship with your hosts even before you get here.Accomodators can also answer questions accurately in some case compared with agents!!

It'a a truly wonderful island to holiday on.

Tipani

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time of year to visit...

Totally agree with Tipani as far as self reservations go. The only way for you to get to Raro is on Air New Zealand(www.airnewzealand.com) You can make you travel reservations there. As far as a place to stay, if you go to (www.cook-islands.com)which is the official website of Cook Islands Tourism you will get all sorts of info including lodging. You will also find a link to receive several brochures on the cooks. The thing about dealing direct with a property is that you can make a better deal on price if you pay cash. Take care and have fun planning. Chuck...

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
179 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time of year to visit...

Thank you very much for the information! I really appreciate it.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time of year to visit...

Tipani:(and any other experts) Based upon your experience, what would the average day/night temps in August and September be and is there much rainfall? Thanks. Chuck...

5. Re: Best time of year to visit...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 00:15