We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aitutaki Lagoon Resort vs. Pacific Resort Aitutaki

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
450 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Aitutaki Lagoon Resort vs. Pacific Resort Aitutaki

Has anyone seen the Aitutaki Lagoon Resort since the cyclone? We are staying in an overwater bungalow at the end of March. We have to prepay in Canada for our hotel (this week) and are paying around $800 CDN per night for the room at Aitutaki Lagoon Resort. This is very expensive so we want to be sure the resort is in good shape.

We really want to stay at the lagoon resort because of the OW bungalows and, of course, the location. Our 11 year old son is totally excited about the OW bungalow.

However, we can't change resorts if we arrive and find out the resort is damaged. If we aren't happy we would have to pay again at another resort. Also, now looking on Trip Advisor the reviews for Aitutaki Lagoon Resort are very mixed...

Other option is Pacific Resort Aitutaki in a beachfront suite/villa. Downside is the location isn't as great and no OW bungalow...up side, guaranteed they sustained no damage and the reviews are outstanding.

What would you guys suggest? Also, I think the location of the lagoon resort is near Samade and it may be cool to go there for dinner/drinks.

Thanks everyone!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
15,203 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aitutaki Lagoon Resort vs. Pacific Resort Aitutaki

For an all round quality experience, I really dont think you could better Pacific Resort. Everything about this resort exudes Polynesian charm, and a luxury stay combined with personalised attention to customer needs.

Visiting Ootu is easy. Hire a vehicle and explore the entire island. Take the Lagoon Resort launch and dine at the Flying Boat cafe for lunch. Ask the Aitutaki Lagoon resort staff if you could inspect one of their overwater bungalows. You may be able to hire the resort's kayaks and other beach toys on Akitua (I mean Aitutaki Lagoon resort - but locals still refer to it as the Akitua) .

If you remain unsure, and your son especially wishes to gain from his own sense of adventure (as well as his parents!), how about you split your time on Aitutaki between the two resorts. This way you would enjoy spending longer time around Ootu attractions, followed by an Amuri experience. I'm sure it would be easy to arrange a transfer from one resort to another. Have you/booking agency emailed the "Akitua" to enquire what damage cyclone Pat did, and whether this has all since been repaired? Might pay to, etc. Kia Manuia.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
450 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aitutaki Lagoon Resort vs. Pacific Resort Aitutaki

Yes our travel agent has emailed the resort and asked for photos of the resort. They have sent, on 2 separate requests, photos of the lagoon and have never sent a photo of the resort. So we don't know what to expect.

I want to support the Aitutaki tourism (for the 4 days we are there) however, I don't want to pay $800 per night for a hotel that is damaged and (based on other traveller reviews) has poor customer service. It's their location and the OW bungalows that are enticing us.

We are staying at Pacific Resort in Rarotonga for 9 nights in a 2 bedroom beachfront villa so when I booked the Aitutaki lagoon resort it was for a change.

Do you know what the water/beach is like by Pacific Resort?

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,510 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aitutaki Lagoon Resort vs. Pacific Resort Aitutaki

Hi hi,

I agree the Pacific Resort is a beautiful property. Much nicer than the Aitutaki Lagoon in my personal estimation. I have stayed at both a number of times.

Please be advised that the 'overwater' bungalows at the Aitutaki Lagoon Resort are Not all the way over the water. Only the decks are overwater, the bungalow sits on land at the waters edge. Also know that on this side of the island there is no snorkeling, just a gorgeous swimming beach. (The best snorkeling is out on the lagoon tours anyway).

Don't get me wrong, the Lagoon resort has a gorgeous location as the views are out to the expansive lagoon and all it's azure blue heaven. But the Pacific Resort has the sunsets and the rooms are nicer.

Ait Lagoon Resort sits next to a couple of other properties just across the way ie: Ranginui's Retreat, Samade & Popoara. A couple of places to eat/drink outside the resort and easily accessible (you just take their little boat for about 30 seconds across from the motu and walk from there. Samade has basic food and good prices. Their ika mata is delightful! (fresh fish marinated in coconut milk, lime & veggies) YUMMM!!! I think I could eat it everyday.

sunny regards,

shully

Edited: 25 February 2010, 23:01
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
15,203 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aitutaki Lagoon Resort vs. Pacific Resort Aitutaki

Joc, I really do think that you would gain more benefit from having a twin resort experience - both Pacific Resort Rarotonga, followed by Pacific Resort Aitutaki. There will be extra special touches afforded to your family as valued guests staying at both properties. Each Pacific Resort (PR) resort is set in magical locations, and very different from one another. If you think the PR in Muri is sublime, wait until you reach Aitutaki. I simply love the Black Rock headland, as well as the stunning beachfront & lagoon in this particular part (PR) of the Amuri district on Aitutaki. And you would be so handy to Tamanu Beach resort for alternative dining or their island nite.

If you are keen to spend some time in the Ootu area, hire a car at your resort's reception. IMO the best swimming on Aitutaki itself has to be found at the end of the coral (unsealed) runway near the northern tip of the island. All resorts/guest-lodges can organise a lagoon tour from a number of different operators. If you have reservations now, then best to make a decision you know you will be happy with in the longer term. All the best with reaching a decision - kia manuia.

Edited: 25 February 2010, 23:21
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
450 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aitutaki Lagoon Resort vs. Pacific Resort Aitutaki

Thanks Frangiapani08 and Shully.

This was such a difficult decision to make 6 months ago and now we are having to make the decision again. I'm sorry for all the questions. This vacation is costing us nearly $17,000 Canadian so I want to be sure we make the right decision.

From Pacific Resort are there places you could walk to that are good - like Tamanu? Or is everything a vehicle drive away?

Thanks again for helping us Canadians out!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
806 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aitutaki Lagoon Resort vs. Pacific Resort Aitutaki

JocjayHay,

We stayed at Pacific resort on Aitutaki last July. We only stayed one night at the end of staying at another resort. The Pacific Resort on Aitutaki is sublime, the customer service impeccable and IMO head and shoulders above anything else on Aitutaki and also a class above P.R. on Rarotonga (although there is nothing wrong with P.R. Raro). Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, they all remembered us when we went to dinner and were wonderful with all the small touches, eg matching your flower lei to the colour of your outfit, seating you so you can see the lagoon and taking photos for you. They treat children especially well. Make sure you take a torch to see all the crabs marching along the beach at night.

They have a new Restaurant manager and the meals were really nice.

We could not believe how beautiful the view was from all the rooms and the sunset which is visible from your deck is the best I have ever experienced.

The beach is tidal but the swimming is better here than anywhere else on this side of the island. You must do a lagoon cruise. You and your son could snorkel and kayak and bicycles are available free of charge if you're fit. You can get a $10 taxi to Tupunas for dinner or hire a car for part of the time to get to the other side of the Island. The Spa treatments are also excellent.

I too was very concerned before going to the Cook Islands as we had spent so much money and all upfront but it was the best value real holiday we have ever had and we can't wait to return!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
450 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aitutaki Lagoon Resort vs. Pacific Resort Aitutaki

Thanks Toddy04.

We have told our travel agent we will be at Pacific Resort Rarotonga and Pacific Resort Aitutaki.

We will be doing a lagoon cruise and may get to scuba dive in Aitutaki (although not a priority as we will probably do 8 dives in Raro). My son really really wants to go fishing...he loves to fish...last winter he was the only one on a fishing boat to catch a fish - a 41 inch barracuda in Cayman Islands!!!

Thanks everyone for your help!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
806 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aitutaki Lagoon Resort vs. Pacific Resort Aitutaki

Jocjayhay,

I know you won't regret your decision. Check out previous forums for fishing charters, if you're not already sorted.

www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums…

Please post after your trip and let us know how you get on.

Toddy

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aitutaki Lagoon Resort vs. Pacific Resort Aitutaki

I think you've made a great choice! We stayed at the Pacific Aitutaki last May and it was incredible - just bliss really :) I do think you get a fantastic experience staying at both of the Pacific Resorts as well (we were married at the Pacific Raro before heading to Aitutaki). Enjoy!!

10. Re: Aitutaki Lagoon Resort vs. Pacific Resort Aitutaki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 February 2010, 19:05