We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash or Credit

Central Coast NSW
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cash or Credit

Hi

We are off to the Cooks on the 13th for 10 nights

Can anyone tell me if the restaurants near the Sunset Resort and in town take credit cards or do we have to pay by cash.

Thanks

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash or Credit

They take MasterCard and Visa. I don't think any other brands. However, the merchants get dinged a rather large fee by the credit card company. Does NSW mean New South Wales? If so, then you will also be dinged a currency exchange fee from AU$ to NZ$. Cash is really the way to go. It is more beneficial to everyone involved, and if you take the same precautions with it as you do at home, you will be just fine. Chuck...

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
807 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash or Credit

We also tried to use cash as much as possible. Most resorts have In room safes where you can programme in your own pin number. We used these to store our cash, credit cards and passports especially when we were swimming and snorkelling without any problems.

I have just noticed you're staying at the Sunset Resort where they have In Room safes.

Central Coast NSW
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash or Credit

Hi

Yes NSW means New South Wales Australia, if we use the ATM to take out the cash ( which is what we normally do ) we are hit with a charge anyway so there is no avoiding it. We take along 2 debit Visa cards which saves a bit on the charges.

But to use the debit cards they will need to have eftpos ( this is what australia uses for cards that are not credit cards but are part of your savings account ) I think that the charges for these are not as great as a credit card. do you know how these cards work in the stores ?

Yes I made sure that the place we stay at have in room saves, always store valueables in these, and always try an book tours through the resort and pay as part of the overall bill when leaving, much easier.

Thanks

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash or Credit

What we are saying is to use cash; not debit; not credit but cash. Bring it with you. Go to your bank is New South Wales and cinvert AU$ to NZ$ or bring AU$ with you and convert at one of the local banks. As they say: "Cash Is King!" Chuck...

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
15,596 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash or Credit

Hi NSW SP,

Take a Visa debit card for convenient access to cash reserves & security reasons anyway, and use either the Westpac or ANZ bank ATM's around the island as required. Sure, there are minor fee charges involved when you withdraw cash, but others have found that Westpac doesnt charge an ATM withdrawal fee unlike ANZ at $8.00 per withdrawal transaction. Enquire from your bank if there is a reciprocal agreement with C Is banks. Plus, your exchange rate is favourable compared to Kiwi dollars anyway. Local instore EFTPOS is applicable to domestic accounts, although global Visa cards are acceptable in many places. I used my Visa at the Outrigger restaurant at Sunset Resort rfecently - no merchant fee, just the cost of the dining was charged. I also use my Visa at the nearby Kikau Hut and Albertos - 2 restaurants in close proximity to Sunset Resort.

Have a wonderful time in Paradise!

Edited: 03 March 2010, 01:01
Central Coast NSW
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash or Credit

Hi Chuck

I have found that using a Debit Card through an ATM is much more cost effective than changing money through a bank or Exchange company, as the accual exchange rate is much closer to the real rate. We will be using the ATM at Auckland airport as we have a 1 1/2 hour layover, I do have a NZ$5 note in my wallet from a previous trip to NZ some time ago, but that wont get us far LOL

Frangipani

Thank you for that info, you are correct the $NZ is one of the very few currenies we Aussies come out in front of, as we staying at the sunset resort we will more than likely have a number of dinners there so this will just be added to our bill, just trying to work out how much "cash" we will need overall as the more times you use the ATM the more times you get slugged with the fees

Gary

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
807 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cash or Credit

NSWSTEAMPOWER,

You might like to look at this previous forum post written by Suzi re the Bank charges she incurred when getting back to Oz.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294328-i2626-k297…

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,093 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cash or Credit

NSWSteampower

Which bank do you use? If it's Westpac you might be lucky. Certainly Westpac NZ customers can withdraw cash from ATMs in both Australia and the Cook Islands without incurring a transation charge. I would assume that being an Australian bank that the reverse would apply.

I think from what everyone says that ANZ tends to hammer people. For once, and it's only once, I'm pleased to be a Westpac customer.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,093 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cash or Credit

NSWSteampower

Forgot to mention - I'm with you on this one. I think it is very cost-efficient to obtain cash through atms by accessing one's cheque account, not using credit or cash advance.

I use this method, but I also find it useful to use credit cards at times. Visa and MC, as someone else has mentioned, are widely accepted in Raro, though Amex less so.

I enjoy the electronic age and it's easier to take precautions with a credit card and to obtain cash only when it's needed and not in large amounts.

As you can see, there are lots of different opinions on this forum!

Central Coast NSW
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cash or Credit

Hi nzlilibet

I dont use any bank, got feedup with them years ago, all my money is in 2 building societies, unfortunetly these do not have branches outside of NSW.

Hence the Visa debit card which are not link directly to the account but we can transfer money from our savings account into the debit cards.

We have used these a number of times overseas ( Samoa, Vanuanu, NZ ) they can be used via any ATM and the fees are quite reasonable, if memory serves me right I think we were charge around $4AUD in Christchurch last March.

Any way the plan is to withdraw as much as we think we will need from the ATM at Auckland airport during our layover, but will try and use the credit card where possible