We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning re: aitutaki lagoon resort and spa

7 posts
Save Topic
Warning re: aitutaki lagoon resort and spa

Returned from honeymoon last week, had a wonderful time on Rarotonga then we went to aitutaki ( magic place) however unfortunately staff stole money from our wallets in our rooms. We think it happened on 2 occassions. First time thought we had list money, second it was sooo obviously stolen. We checked in with over 1000 and checked out with under 500 and spent no money because everything went on a tab. Very disappointing end to our honeymoon and for a 5 star resort. Also the food at the bounty is rubbish. Highly recommend going to cook islands and to aitutaki but wouldn't stay at aitutaki lagoon resort and spa.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
13,960 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning re: aitutaki lagoon resort and spa

Kia Orana Tannobear, and welcome to our Cook Islands forum.

Firstly, congratulations on your recent wedding, and honeymoon in the Cook Islands.

I do sincerely hope that your incident hasn't put you off from visiting Aitutaki again. Unfortunately theft is a fact of life, and sadly can occur anywhere around the globe. Your allegation (against resort staff) is of a serious nature, and I'm sure that the mangagement of Aitutaki Lagoon Resort have taken this matter equally seriously and that appropriate steps had been taken to report the loss of cash to the Aitutaki Police while you were still on the island.

That sum of cash is considerable and it would be difficult for someone to be spending this sum of money without being noticed on such a small island. If the money is of foreign currency, the chances of recovery will be improved. I hope that you had already taken out travel insurance to cover this type of incident; prior to your visit. In your future travels, I have no doubt that you will be placing cash into a room safe or similar secure storage facility. Describing this complaint on a public forum will not be taken lightly by either the resort's owners or their management, or by the Police authority I can assure you.

It is also deeply regrettable that you found the Bounty Room meals not to your standard. I'm sure you would have been able to discretely pass your comments at the time to the maitre d' in attendence, and also to have a word with the resort's Manageress if you felt that the complaint hadn't already been satisfactorily resolved earlier.

For reference, Aitutaki Lagoon Resort and Spa is indeed listed as a 4 star property, while the Pacific Resort Aitutaki is classified as a 5 star resort. As you stated, the situation has not put you off from returning to both Rarotonga and Aitutaki in future.

Kia manuia - all the best.

Frangipani

7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning re: aitutaki lagoon resort and spa

Thank you. I do hope it is taken seriously. The matter wasn't resolved before we left and we left feeling uncertain if they cared. I hope it is resolved. Also, from our perspective it was difficult to make the accusation that it was staff, however there us no other explanation.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,960 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning re: aitutaki lagoon resort and spa

I have no doubt that your allegation will be taken very seriously, since you have chosen to go public with your complaint. To be fair also, the resort owners and management have equal right to address this complaint accordingly as you have made these allegations on TA which has very wide exposure.

When you state that you "left feeling uncertain if they cared", are you saying that you followed through with providing sufficient information to management and/or security staff who may then have called upon the police to interview you (being certain that it was a report of theft). Or did you handle the situation somewhat differently once you discovered the missing cash? Also, when did you discover the money missing - during your stay at the resort or at a later time?

While perhaps at the time you may not have made a direct accusation against a member of staff, bear in mind that you have certainly done so here on this forum, and which runs the risk now of pointing the finger at the resort and its operations. As such this is also a serious matter as I'm sure you realise. Am I correct that you mentioned the missing sum of 500 or more/less? Is this NZ dollars or what currency please?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
802 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning re: aitutaki lagoon resort and spa

Tannobear72,

You have joined Trip Advisor just today with the sole purpose of discrediting a Resort on Aitutaki. I see you have not even filled in your profile so I can't understand why you expect to be taken seriously. The forum is for travel advice (which you obviously didn't need before planning a very special honeymoon) and not for having a post trip rant. You should post a Hotel review in the Reviews section where your review may have some credibility.

You needed to take your accusations to the Resort Management and failing success there, you should have gone to the Police.

I have reported your post.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning re: aitutaki lagoon resort and spa

i believe the resort has in room safes.

7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning re: aitutaki lagoon resort and spa

We realized money was stolen while there and spoke to two duty managers. It was NZ currency. We left the day after it was reported. Haven't heard anything from them, have not had any money returned.

If I had felt the matter to be dealt with appropriately I wouldn't be on a public forum. I am a very reasonable person.

7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning re: aitutaki lagoon resort and spa

The amount was between 350 - 500, we are sure of exact sum. However 100% sure it was missing. We checked in with over 1000 ( approx 1160) paid for cruise (150) checked out with 490. We thought we had lost money somewhere, when amount was down first time to around 860 then know for a fact it was removed by someone from our room the day we went on a cruise, it was down to 490.

This information reported on a public forum will make people think, and not be so trusting.

7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Warning re: aitutaki lagoon resort and spa

Some of the rooms do

7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Warning re: aitutaki lagoon resort and spa

Have you had your holiday money stolen from you? That was a gift for your wedding??.. I think if you were in our shoes you would be very disapointed and equally wanting to share your views. We did report it and left day after, we are now in a different country, should we have cancelled our flights to pursue further?? Or should the resort have acted efficiently and contacted us by now?? am giving travel advice... Don't take cash, and don't trust anyone! It's a very lovely relaxed place and I think we were to relaxed.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,960 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Warning re: aitutaki lagoon resort and spa

To clarify your information Tannobear, inspite of retaining near $1,000 cash in your room you didnt think to ask about safe deposit or room security? Correct?

Additionally, you say you spoke with 2 duty managers yet neither took the matter up with Aitutaki Police? Why not? Surely if the matter was of a serious nature to you, & for the staff member being accused here, the appropriate course of action(by you) would have been to follow this incident up since you are only now making a serious complaint..

Like lien says, there are room safes provided. If your room didn't have one provided, all you needed to do was to seek support from resort reception. Given that you noticed the initial sum was absent, did you not think to beef up security ahead of a repeat episode?

I urge you please to either report the stolen sum to Aitutaki Police, or deal with the likelihood of reducing a similar situation from arising again. There is nothing we can do to advise you further.

Happy travels.