We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air NZ Children's Fares to Raro

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Air NZ Children's Fares to Raro

I have just read Frangipani's tip on Air NZ specials & have been watching the prices fluctuate (mainly up) for the direct flight from Sydney to Raro & return for the past couple of months.

As most of you are probably aware we will once again be heading to Raro in September for our family vacation - 4 adults & 3 children under 6, so have been watching Air NZ for a "good" price". In the past, children's fares have always been about $100.00 less than the adult fare, but have noticed in the past few weeks that the Sydney to Raro fare for children is only $47 less & the return fare is the same as the adult fare.

I find this quite strange having read in the Cook Island News just a couple of weeks ago, that at the recent travel industry forum in Raro, an effort was being made to market the Cook Islands as a family holiday destination not just a honeymoon destination.

Surely this recent price hike by Air NZ is counter-productive as it will become quite prohibitive, financially for families to travel from Australia to Raro & I would suggest the cheaper option of Fiji or Vanuatu will once again pull the Aust. family tourist dollar.

Perhaps it's just a way of Air NZ recouping some of the subsidy they have allowed for the direct route from Sydney or am I being way too cynical?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,341 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air NZ Children's Fares to Raro

I attended part of that recent tourism forum, and I also heard a Tourism rep mention that they plan to place more emphasis on marketing the Cook Islands as a family-friendly destination. But I wasn't aware that prices for the direct Sydney to Rarotonga flight had been increasing until you pointed this information out here.

You may indeed have a point about the subsidy being phased out. What might assist your cause is to write to the Editor of the Cook Islands News to make your views known - www.cinews.co.ck

Incidentally, how do the fares flying Pacific Blue into Auckland and transiting from there work out?

Like you, I'm an ordinary traveller and am always on the lookout for a good deal.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air NZ Children's Fares to Raro

Thanks Frangi for your input.

I have checked the Pacific Blue prices & they are much the same as the Air NZ prices for the direct flight.

As return visitors we find the direct flight much easier to handle with 3 very young children & the hours of arrival & departure much more conducive to keeping their parents & grandparents happy.

I'm probably beginning to sound like I'm wanting the convenience of the direct flight but not willing to pay the price for the convenience. I can assure you this is not the case, we will continue to return to Raro & begrudgingly pay the price, but I can't see Air NZ's attitude encouraging any first time family travellers to your shores.

I'm not suggesting that Air NZ is phasing out the direct flights, I think they still have 2 years left on the original agreement they made with Cook Islands Tourism. What I am suggesting is that Air NZ has found a sneaky way to recoup their losses on this agreement & that's by increasing the children's fares.

I don't know anything about how Air NZ's price scheduling works - perhaps my thoughts are way off course.

Orchards, Washington
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air NZ Children's Fares to Raro

"As most of you are probably aware we will once again be heading to Raro in September"

I am curious: Why is that?

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air NZ Children's Fares to Raro

Hi Fernsie, sorry to ask off topic, but how old are your kids? I would love to get back to the CI as soon as possible, and we have just discovered we have a little one on the way...do you think it's easy to travel overseas with babies? Especially to the Cooks? I'd LOVE to be able to continue travelling with a bub!

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air NZ Children's Fares to Raro

hirohito2 - Not an easy question to answer, but here goes -

My husband & I "discovered" Raro as a holiday destination some years ago, we were taken by it's beauty, the friendliness of it's people & it's overall unpretentiousness.

We are very keen snorkelers & enjoy the ease of being able to snorkel from the beach.

We are from Australia & Rarotonga is relatively easy to get to from here.

We have traveled the South Pacific extensively & in our opinion the Cook Islands are unique.

At the risk of sounding "schmaltzy" - when we arrive in Raro we can feel the tensions of our daily life drift away.

We feel very privileged to be able to spend time with our family in such a beautiful location.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air NZ Children's Fares to Raro

Hi katandscar - Congratulations!

The children that we travel with are our grandchildren - when last we visited Rarotonga with them they were 4, 3 & 6 months. We organized to hire a bottle sterilizer & baby bath which were waiting at our house when we arrived & carried a really nifty fold up cot that only weighed 1kg in our luggage. This time should be really easy- the girls will all be 2 years older & obviously no need for nappies or sterilizing bottles. We take mosquito protection with us (those plug in things) & buy bottled water.

Because there are 4 adults it's a breeze & obviously we all get on very well as a family unit.

For us it works well in Raro, we rent a large house - our daughter & son-in-law have resident baby sitters should they want to go out for dinner & we share in the cost of rent, food & car hire (we hire a mini van).

We have traveled to Vanuatu with a 13month old & a 3 month old & that was a little challenging, but it was resort accommodation & it did rain every day for 2 weeks. I'm sure a private rental would have made a difference.

Go for it, my only suggestions are: book your flight early & request a bassinet seat & take cloth nappies, although inconvenient to launder, they don't add to the island's landfill problem.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,822 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air NZ Children's Fares to Raro

Hi fernsie

The AirNZ sale has started this morning.

For NZ passengers it covers all Australian and Pacific Island destinations.

But it does also show a sale on the Australian site which includes the Cooks.

Good luck.

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air NZ Children's Fares to Raro

Thanks Fernsie-it CAN be done ;)

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air NZ Children's Fares to Raro

Thanks nzlilibet - doesn't help us .... yet - fares are only until 30th June.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,822 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air NZ Children's Fares to Raro

Never mind, just keep looking. I think their next big specials come in May - I usually come home from a trip to find I've missed them!