We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cook Islands or Fiji?!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Cook Islands or Fiji?!!

Hi All!

My first official post, after literally living on Trip Advisor for the last few years!! Getting married in January, 2013, and undecided about honeymoon location.

My fiancée, Luke, has his heart set on Aitutaki - whereas coming from Australia, I believe Fiji would be more economical money and time wise. I guess I am after someone to convince me Cook Islands is the way to go.

Beaches, sunsets, snorkelling and fishing is what we are after. Any recommendations and why would be greatly appreciated!

Budget of Aus/US approx $3500 for one week of accomodation, with as many inclusions as possible!

I am one of those annoying people that love to know everything about where they are going and plan, plan, plan! And LOVE TA, so any info would be great! Any info on where to go, stay, buy, swim would be greatly appreciated. And, Meitaki - Aere Ra?!!

Amy

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cook Islands or Fiji?!!

Amy, this question is a very popular one on this forum. I suggest that you spend some time and read it back about 10 pages. You will find much information on the Cooks/Fiji. There is also a very recent thread on this page. Chuck...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294328-i2626-k518…

Hokitika, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cook Islands or Fiji?!!

(tongue in cheek!)This will probably be Lukes last chance to make a decision(hehe)So damn the money,go to Aitutaki.

seriously it is a "must do"

Ill go hide in me hole now.

Stu

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,147 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cook Islands or Fiji?!!

Kia Orana AmyT, welcome to our forum.

I can understand your present dilemna regarding the best honeymoon experience to be enjoyed. I can only share some things about Aitutaki island and why this location would offer you a wonderful stay.

Aitutaki is paradise! No question about this fact. It is an idyllicaly beautiful, romantic, charming, laid-back, and enticing island. The lagoon area is huge and very scenic. The island offers a wide choice of water-based activities and none of these are far from the island's accommodation to undertake.

As to cost, you'll need to weigh up the benefits of converting your money to Kiwi dollars, or to Fijian currency, to make an accurate analysis of the expense of flying further from Melbourne to Aitutaki, as opposed to the shorter trip to Fiji and its islands. Air NZ and Air Rarotonga are both well run operations who fly on schedule a very high percentage of the time.

Weather-wise I kept up to date with the awful conditions that many folks flying into Nadi faced this January. Fiji is historically hotter and wetter than the Cook Islands over summer due to differing geographical locations. The prevailing El Nino was predicted to cause the western Pacific more rain and flooding though.

Have you had a look at Etu Moana, an intimate property which is situated along the western side of Aitutaki island? Checking their tarrif now I see that a stay at this boutique property would be right on the mark with your budget. Being a long-time TA fan, you would also be aware of their recent award and continuous high-ranking. For a honeymoon stay, this place would be pretty difficult to beat! Save Fiji for a winter short break another time.

What to buy? Black pearls as momentoes, Cook Islands arts and craft work, carvings and ukelele, music CD's, screen printed pareu (sarongs), authentic 'ura skirt (hula skirt), locally made perfumes and spa products, a photograph of Luke with his prize gamefish perhaps!.

You can swim anywhere around Aitutaki - off the beachfront in front of Etu Moana, in the lagoon area north of the island, around Ootu channel, within deeper waters and marine reserves on the One Foot Island day cruise. Kayaking is popular, so too is sailing, kite surfing, wind surfing, snorkelling and scuba. Etu Moana is situated close to the inland trail of the island's eroded volcanic crater for outstanding views of the entire island and its magnificent lagoon. The island lends itself well to mountain biking which I understand Etu Moana provides complimentary for their guests.

All the best with your wedding and honeymoon planning - and I think that your fiancee has chosen well!

Kia Manuia.

Edited: 29 February 2012, 20:34
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cook Islands or Fiji?!!

Thanks all,

It's decided - just needed that final push! The photos look surreal, and is hard to believe anywhere could be that beautiful.

I guess Luke will get his choice, this time!

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
797 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cook Islands or Fiji?!!

<<You can swim anywhere around Aitutaki - off the beachfront in front of Etu Moana>>

When I was there the water was less than a metre at full tide in front of Etu Moana. The sand was slimy and covered in Sea Cucumbers. I was so disappointed.

Perhaps honeymooners have a better imagination than me.

Etu Moana's swimming pool is very nice but my paradise must have a swimmable beach.

<<The island lends itself well to mountain biking which I understand Etu Moana provides complimentary for their guests.>>

They weren't mountain bikes but were heavy and cumbersome and looked like they had been left by the US forces stationed there during WW11.

I would check to see if they have updated them recently, otherwise their only functionality is for short fun rides to the shops.

6. Re: Cook Islands or Fiji?!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 21:17