We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photos from our recent trip to Rarotonga and Aitutaki

Brisbane
Level Contributor
206 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Photos from our recent trip to Rarotonga and Aitutaki

Hi all,

We (two adults and two children age 12 and 9) have just returned from a great trip to Rarotonga and Aitutaki. We were there for just under 2 weeks over the Easter break.

We had 8 nights at the Heliconia Hideaway Bungalow in Titikaveka and we can't recommend it highly enough. I believe Titikaveka to be one of the best spots on Rarotonga, and this bungalow is situated on a very quiet, practically private, part of the beach. The hosts were very welcoming and we enjoyed visiting the Maere Nui gardens over the road, which they also own, and we had a lovely meal in their restaurant too. The bungalow has two bedrooms, kitchen and living area and is about 20metres from the beach.

While on Rarotonga we did the Koka Lagoon Cruise which we enjoyed - Captain Awesome was just that! We also had dinner and watched the show at Te Vara Nui which was good fun. We did the Raro tours 4WD trip, visited the Saturday morning markets, swam at Black Rock, ate at Tamarind House, Le Bon Vivant and Bamboo Jacks, had fish and chips watching the sunset (a few times!) and went to the school's cultural concert at the National Auditorium. In amongst all of that there was great snorkelling at the Fruits of Rarotonga and off our beach, especially when we went out on the kayaks. (Just want to add in here that the snorkelling at Muri Beach is terrible....)

On Aitutaki we stayed in the Aretai Beach villas which was another lovely location, with kayaks and a swimming hole just down the beach. We did two cruises on Aitutaki lagoon - the first with Bishops which is a large boat and the second with TeKing, which is a smaller boat and had much more, and much better snorkelling. Both cruises were great but we enjoyed the extra snorkelling and the small boat experience of TeKing. We ate at the Tamanu Beach resort (loved the show and the food was great), Koru Cafe, Samade on the Beach, Puffy's (lovely food and right next door), the Boat Shed Cafe and Cafe Tupuna's. We just adore Aitutaki and will definitely go back.

Our accommodation and rental car, and a few of the activities was organised via email with Jennie Wilson of Experience Rarotonga, and we had great service. Thanks Jennie.

The Cook Islands is a beautiful location, with beautiful laid back people and we just love it. I hope you enjoy my photos and get a taste of what you are going to, if you haven't already been.

https:/…

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photos from our recent trip to Rarotonga and Aitutaki

Great trip report & wonderful photos - thanks for sharing.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,822 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photos from our recent trip to Rarotonga and Aitutaki

That's a great trip report and the photos are magnificent!

I get the feeling that you're going to turn into a repeat visitor like me.

I see you've started on your reviews. Hope you'll also review the restaurants you ate at.

Hokitika, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photos from our recent trip to Rarotonga and Aitutaki

Great report and very very nice photos.

thanks for sharing them,well done.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Photos from our recent trip to Rarotonga and Aitutaki

Thanks all!

Yes nzlilibet - there's no doubt we'll be back. It was already our second trip. I'm thinking Atiu and Mangaia next time though.....

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
729 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Photos from our recent trip to Rarotonga and Aitutaki

Great photos, we're going later in the year to the same places, and these are a great guide.

Levin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Photos from our recent trip to Rarotonga and Aitutaki

Your photos are fantastic. Wish I had an eye for that.

Cindy

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Photos from our recent trip to Rarotonga and Aitutaki

Beautiful photos, can't wait for our trip in January.

Rene

8. Re: Photos from our recent trip to Rarotonga and Aitutaki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 22:18