We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation - Muri vs south vs west - too many choices!

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Accommodation - Muri vs south vs west - too many choices!

Hi!

My partner and I will be going to Rarotonga in April for 6 nights/7 days. I'm having difficulty deciding on the best place to stay for a combination of good snorkelling during the day and more restaurants/bars/things to do in the evening.

From what I've read, it seems the west side has a good combination of both more restaurants and good snorkelling, whereas Muri is generally more happening, has a nice beach but is not the best place for snorkelling, and is considered by some to be almost too "touristy".

I'm considering splitting the stay into two areas: one around Titikaveka or Vaimaanga and one in either Muri or the west side. Budgetwise, we have a wide range, which makes it harder to decide! We've been looking at places from NZD200 to NZD600 a night - we could stay in a less expensive place for a few nights and then splash out for the last few nights.

Any advice/suggestions?

In Muri, would you pick Muri Beach Club Hotel or Muri Beach Resort?

Also, we arrive early in the morning. Any suggestions for what to do before we can check in?

Thank you!

Battle Ground...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation - Muri vs south vs west - too many choices!

Check out The Sunset Resort. I think it'll suit your fancy sunsetresort.com

Edited: 16 March 2013, 02:37
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
878 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation - Muri vs south vs west - too many choices!

Check out Aroa Beachside Inn. It's at the south end of Arorangi on a gorgeous section of beach. It's got good snorkeling and they have a nice bar and they are in a great area for sunsets. Other restaurants in the area are only a short distance away.

Out of your two choices in Muri, my preference is Muri Beach Resort.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,682 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation - Muri vs south vs west - too many choices!

Hi

I don't necessarily think you'll need to stay in two different places as it's easy enough to get around.

I think MsV's suggestion of Aroa Beachside Inn is a good one - good beach - restaurants close by.

If you are thinking of Muri I wouldn't recommend either of your choices - have a look at Muri Beachcomber. No restaurant on site but walking distance to lots of choices.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
180 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation - Muri vs south vs west - too many choices!

I agree - no need to move, packing and unpacking etc. the island is small and getting around is easy. Aroa Beachside is wonderful, but there is no A/C (if that's an issue) The sunsets are fabulous! Another choice would be Cooks Bay Villas or Palm Grove in Vaimaanga. These 2 propertiies are in the south and are walking distance to Wigmores and a few restaurants. The beaches are wonderful and the snorkelling was good at all these places....not so much at Muri.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Level Contributor
20 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation - Muri vs south vs west - too many choices!

The island is only 31.5 km all the way around and you are here for too short a time to pack up and move . The Muri side can be lovely but it gets more wind (great if you are a kitesurfer) and rain than the western side. My choice with your budget would be Cooks Bay Villas. Email and ask Shine what they can do for you there. The villas are SOOOOOOO lovely. When are you coming? In the cooler winter months when it gets down to like a min of 15 over night, it is very nice to sit in their outdoor hot tubs. Each villa has a private one! And they have a glorious shared pool and BBQ area, but seriously, the villas are RIGHT on the beach and are sooo wonderful you wont want to move far. Except maybe to kayak in the free layak they provide to each villa. From there you can walk to Vaima restauarant ( on the beach...ask for the front table ON the sand) they also do take away pizzas if you want to eat at home ) and you are also an easy walk to CocoLatte cafe opp Wigmores supermkt. Wigmores has most of the basics you'll need but you get a light breakfast ea morn at the villas. Hire a car (about $40-45NZD/day or a motorbike or motor scooter (about NZD20/day) and zip to where you want to go. For dinner get to Tamarind House, The Sands at Moana Sands is great, esp when Tony is in the kitchen (on the beach) eat at the beach restaurant at the Pacific Resort, the restaurant at Blackrock Villas (only open Sat and Sun nights and is BYO). For lunches zip to see Jill at the Mooring Cafe which is at Avana harbour (look out for signs for Cptn Mokos fishing charter just on the other side of Muri) Cafe Salsa in town is nice and do go to Trader Jacks for a drink and pub meal. Bamboo Jacks in town or RickShaw in Muri are also good for Asian. The other place you could stay which has just occurred to me (but is v pricey) is Crown Beach. The prvate villas with private plunge pool are fab...tho I reckon Cooks Bay Villas are better. Have fun

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation - Muri vs south vs west - too many choices!

Thanks so much to everyone for your quick replies!

It seems that the west would be preferable to Muri and that if staying for the whole time in one place, the south side around Vaimaanga or Titikaveka would be best.

It's difficult because I would like to be somewhere with great snorkelling right outside but my partner hasn't ever snorkelled before (though I'm sure he'll enjoy it) and he'd like to be somewhere with a bar/restaurant onsite or nearby. That's why I thought splitting the stay between two places would be a good compromise, but I can see how that would be a pain with packing up/unpacking/check-out/check-in etc.

We'll be there in early April - not far away so I'd better get booking. Hmm, not easy with so many great-sounding options..

Thanks again to everyone for the great advice.

Edited: 17 March 2013, 04:29
7. Re: Accommodation - Muri vs south vs west - too many choices!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2014, 04:17