We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dairy Free Diet

Australia
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dairy Free Diet

We are travelling to Raro next week with our 3 1/2 year old Son who is on a STRICT dairy free diet. Can anyone please tell me if Soy Milk is readily available (and approx price) & dairy free marj/spreads, bread, soy yoghurts, snacks etc. We would prefer to buy everything over there for ease however as his diet is so strict we need to make sure these things are readily available at a reasonable cost. Thanks :)

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dairy Free Diet

Hi, I know So Good is available but can't remember the price - sorry.

I honestly don't like your chances of purchasing the other products you asked about. If I were you I would be inclined to pack these in a soft freezer bag (the type that you purchase at the supermarket to carry your refrigerated products home in) with a couple of small freezer bricks & just pack it with your clothing. Don't forget to declare it to customs - you won't have a problem.

I could well be wrong, though, you may be able to purchase what you need in Raro - hopefully Ms Vancouver, a local, will be able to put you on the right track.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dairy Free Diet

Kia Orana Mrs Ferguson,

So Good, soy milk, in 200mls and 1 litre packs are consistently available at CITC supermarkets.

Country Soft, canola and soy spread, is consistently available at CITC also - retails $4.60 for 500gms.

I will check and enquire about your other needs later today.

All the best.

Kia manuia

Australia
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dairy Free Diet

Thank you very much. We would love to support the local economy by purchasing there if we can however don't want to be stuck without. Really appreciate you looking into it for us. Cheers Mary

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dairy Free Diet

Hi Mary,

Hopefully you've received my PM to you.

1 litre So Good shelf-price was $3.60 at Foodland yesterday.

Rice Dream 1 litre $6.60 at Foodland.

Olivio olive oil spread $6.80 at Foodland.

Each time I travel from Auckland, I carry speciality deli products in a cooler bag placed inside my luggage and with ice-bricks. Our customs and agriculture airport staff here on Raro are all very good natured with personal import assessments. Declare items of food on your passenger documentation, and it also helps to prepare a list identifying what you are carrying by way of foods/restricted goods.

I also bring bread into Raro each trip because I'm a big fan of Vogel's bread which is no longer stocked at CITC.

Kia manuia.

Australia
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dairy Free Diet

Thank you! Yes, I just received your PM. Appreciate all the info.

We are looking forward to our holiday!

Thank you very much.

Mary

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dairy Free Diet

Mary, regardless of what you have been told on this forum - I wouldn't take the risk on the products being available when you want to purchase them.

I speak from personal experience, one of our grandaughters is dairy intolerant, as I said 3 days ago, So Good is readily available but as you are no doubt aware So Good has a shelf life. The other dairy products to which you refer are refrigerated. On Raro, the availability of refrigerated items depends on when the last ship arrived - there is no gaurantee that just because they were there yesterday that they will still be in the supermarket refrigerator when you land in Raro.

Once again, regardless of how you've been advised in PM's or otherwise - don't take the risk - very easy to take the necessary food with you - then relax have a great holiday.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dairy Free Diet

I live on Rarotonga for much of the year and I have found So Good soy milk, Olivio and Country Soft spreads to be consistently available. Our monthly shipping services plus our weekly flights bring in these products because we have residents in our local population who rely upon these dietary needs.

Beyond these regularly stocked products, I suggested above that you bring in some of your requirements. And which is relatively straightfoward to do so.

Cheers - kia manuia.

Edited: 30 March 2013, 17:34
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dairy Free Diet

Frangipani, you may well live on Rarotonga for much of the year & know much better than us what is available at the supermarkets.

I, however, am aware of the dietry needs of dairy intollerant children (my grandchild & her mother).

If the ""Country Soft Spreads" to which you refer are Anchor brand (which were available when we last visited) - they contain dairy cream. Olivio spread contains buttermilk.

I stand by my original post - err on the side of caution & take your own non dairy products with you.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,726 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dairy Free Diet

I was disappointed to read that Frangipani brings bread into Raro each trip because she's a big fan of Vogel's bread.

It is one thing if someone has specific dietary needs for things like gluten free bread, but otherwise I can see no reason whatsoever for bringing in bread, whether Vogel's or any other brand.

There are two excellent bakeries on Raro - Avarua and Turoa. Their breads are excellent, particularly the wholemeal and wholegrain varieties. The quality is up there with the best.

Although ingredients may be imported, this is a commodity which brings employment in the manufacturing field as well as retailing. I, for one, will continue to buy local breads when I visit.

And there are, as well, some smaller bakeries that you'll see selling their products in the markets and in the likes of Delifoods in Muri.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dairy Free Diet

NZlilibet, If I choose to eat Vogel's bread and share ONE loaf among close friends on Rarotonga this action is nothing for any poster to become "disappointed" about.

The commercial bakeries on Rarotonga do their best to meet the majority of the market, given the island's small population and more conservative local tastes when it comes to bread; which is a European food-stuff anyway. Of course as a citizen I purchase what is available locally nearly all the time. But you can't beat the taste and texture of Vogel's bread somehow!

Now that Marmite is back in stock in NZ, but not here yet, I am thinking of a side trip ...

Kia manuia.