We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation with twins

California
Level Contributor
328 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation with twins

After doing a little research I am more confused then before. I will be traveling with my husband and would be 15 month old twins. I noticed a lot of the resorts are child free so that limits my options. Another issue I have is finding a property that will accommodate two cribs. I would do a resort or vacation home rental, but I would prefer something close to stores and restaurants. Of course beach front if possible for $300 or less per night. Does this property exist?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
15,142 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation with twins

Kia Orana bearette,

Lagoon Breeze villas is lovely, and is very children-friendly including spacious grounds and a kiddies pool. Prices are a little over your budget, but that may depend on the season you plan to visit and any discounts that management can offer. I love the beach and lagoon area in this spot with small children in mind. Village store nearby, and dining options include Cocoputt, the Rarotongan, Kaena takeaways and steak-house and possibly Aroa Beachside Inn - www.lagoonbreezevillas.com.

There are several holiday homes along Muri, a short walk to the central village store. Restaurants and cafes in Muri village. Look at Capt James Retreat which is a spacious 2br with a large lawn area between the house and the beachfront. Shallow and tranquil part of the SE lagoon area. holidayhomes.co.nz/pacific-islands/muri/list…

If twin cribs/cots are not available onsite, these can be hired from Cocotots on Rarotonga. I'm sure your accommodator can arrange this facility.

Have you enquired from Palm Grove to see if any of their 2br houses are available within your price-range?

Also Kura's Kabanas in Muri village have well-priced family-units - http://www.kkabanas.co.ck/rates.htm-.

Also consider Vaikoi in Aroa, which is close to the Rarotongan, set on a beautiful large site, with a lovely beach a short distance away and the giant bouncy castle is a popular kids attraction in this area. Dining in this locality includes the Rarotongan, Kaena, Cocoputt. Nearest store and fresh fruits/veg stall in Kavera - say 15 minutes walk with strollers. Not beachfront, which is 100 metres away if that. The 3 br holiday home is around your price-range - www.vaikoi.com.

All the best in your search. Kia Manuia.

Edited: 07 April 2013, 01:31
Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,626 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation with twins

Travelling with little ones I would recommend a holiday home - makes it so much easier having a kitchen and room to spread out. there are lots options available at different price points. We used Eddie from Rent Raro and found him brilliant www.rentraro.com - I am sure he can organise cots etc.

Regards

Suzi

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation with twins

We have also travelled to Rarotonga with small children & prefer to stay in holiday homes. We know how small children can often become unsettled at night especially on holidays & in a private rental you don't have to worry about disturbing others, as you would in the close confines of a resort. We too have used the services of Eddie at Rent Raro & also rented directly with owners through holidayhomes.co.nz., both have worked well for us.

We have also used the services of Tamsyn at Cocotots - she is very reliable, you are able to hire any of the products through her website - cocotots.com, she will deliver them to your accommodation prior to your arrival & will pick them up again on your departure.

I note that you specifically asked for beach front if possible - Lagoon Breeze Villas aren't beach front, they're across the road, the last time I looked at them they also had an unfenced pool, a concern I would think with 2 small children.

Aroa Beachside Inn doesn't take children under 12.

Kura's Kabanas has open plan family units - not sure how soundly your little ones sleep, but could be a problem if you wanted to watch tv after they went to sleep.They also have a 2 bedroom villa but you would have to check if they actually allow children here, I seem to recall they don't.

In any case I wouldn't base my choice of accommodation on proximity to the "giant bouncy castle" - it's as the description suggests huge & certainly not suitable for 15month olds'.

Good luck with your search, there are plenty of properties around that meet your criteria.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,142 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation with twins

Several of the properties I suggested above are indeed holiday homes including Vaikoi and Capt James Retreat. Both are very nice.

Yes Lagoon Breeze is across the road from a lovely beach, but it's a beautifully presented property with good facilities. Apart from Pacific Resort, pools on Rarototonga arenot fenced/secured. But neither are our beaches if staying in a beachfront home with young children.

Finding the right place to stay and coming in on budget may require much searching. I suggest where-ever possible negotiate directly with the property owner or onsite management to get the best deal.

Ive 'witnessed a number of toddlers at the bouncy castle having a go in their own way and enjoying the fun on offer. It is a children's activity afterall and well supervised.

I wish you every success bearette. If I think of other suitable properties I will post again.

Kia Manuia.

Frangipani

Edited: 07 April 2013, 07:46
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,142 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation with twins

The Pacific Resort Rarotonga has ground floor family units with a small kitchenette and separate bedrooms. This resort has a very secure fully fenced pool, and the family units are well away from the actual beachfront. The property is spacious with lush tropical land scaping and screening. Beachfront resort with onsite restaurant and cafe, as well as being close to surrounding cafes, a small village store, the cultural village, and lots of lagoon and land-based activities in the immediate Muri area.

I would imagine that PR could easily replace the single beds with 2 cots for you in their family units. The prices shown on their website come in a little over budget, but see what they can do for you in an email enquiry.

Cheers!

Edited: 07 April 2013, 08:34
California
Level Contributor
328 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation with twins

Thanks everyone. I will check these places out. We are trying to get my parents to come so the holiday homes look like the best option, but if they don't go I think a more resort location would be better. my husband dives and I anticipate he would leave me a lot with the kids so I don't want to be stuck in a secluded house alone. The idea of multiple bedrooms and a laundry may win me over. We are trying to decide if we want to stay for 13 days ( to take advantage of nonstop flights from LA) and do two islands or just stick to the main one. Any recommendations if we island hop?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,142 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation with twins

Hi again,

If your budget can stretch to visiting 2 islands, the magic of Aitutaki will win you over big time. It's magnificent lagoon is a major draw-card. But beside the lagoon, the people on Aitutaki are very laid-back and friendly. Your husband being a keen diver will be in his element on Aitutaki for sure.

There are some good choices on Aitutaki for 2 & 3 bedroom accommodation, including holiday homes at Ootu point, and in Amuri. www.aitutaki-accommodations.com is a useful website to see what's on offer.

The domestic flights between Rarotonga and Aitutaki take around 50 minutes, and are a comfortable trip. I suggest you buy some foods on Rarotonga that your children like to eat to take to Aitutaki with you. Rarotonga being bigger and with more population we have access to a good spread of convenience stores and supermarkets. There are enough stores on Aitutaki for its small population, but not the wider range of product that the bigger stores on Rarotonga sell. But also it will get your holiday going on Aitutaki quicker if you carry some food lines with you.

Happy planning - kia manuia.

California
Level Contributor
328 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation with twins

The Lagoon property had so much going for it for the kids that I would have stayed there in a heart beat,but no availability in June for a week. :0( I wasn't too concerned about an open pool as they are at an always need to be supervised age. This was so kid friendly I could over look the beach front.

My next favorite was Kuras Kabanas but I need to check for availability and if they will let us stay in the villa (as the open plan family unit doesn't work for bed time.)

I liked Paradise but they were the most expensive option. I also liked the houses so any of these will work if Kuras doesn't work out. I loved all the options so thank you for the great recommendations. Now to check for the possibility of island hoping...

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation with twins

If you come to Aitutaki, and I hope you do, The accommodations Frangipani recommended are good especially the ones in Ootu. The Villa and the Beach House. You will have a spectacular view of the lagoon and there is a nice swimming beach right on your door step. You are also walking distance to some of the better places to eat on the island especially the Koru Cafe and the Boat Shed. Both of which are very kid friendly particularly the Koru Cafe. Samade on the Beach is within 100 meters with a beach bar and restaurant and the Aitutaki Lagoon Resort is also nearby.

If you can swing it, Aitutaki is not to be missed.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,142 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodation with twins

Aroa Beachside Inn accepts children under 12 years for meals at their Shipwreck beachfront cafe.

Here is another Aroa area option, bearette - http://www.aroapalms.com/about.php

Hope your plans are progressing well!.

Kia manuia.

Get answers to your questions about Cook Islands
Recent Conversations