We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cook Island Hoheymoon

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Cook Island Hoheymoon

Hi there,

My wife and I are looking to book our honeymoon on the lovely island of Rarotonga. We got married in December and need to find the time to get away!

We are more interested in eating meals out at various places rather than cooking meals in, are there many resorts etc that are both small and boutique like while not focussing on the need for in room cooking? We are in our late 20s and would rather enjoy a few of the local eateries!

We are looking to stay for 6-7 nights and have a budget of maybe $4000-$5000 including flights from NZ. Kids are in our future but we would ultimately like to stay at an adults only resort this time around.

The names we have been given so far are Royale Takitimu, Crown Resort, little Polynesian and Te Manava.

A few of these look like they have full kitchens etc.

Any recommendations? Also has anyone been to Rarotonga in August/September that can let me know what the weather is generally like?

Thanks so much!

Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cook Island Hoheymoon

Te Vakaroa would fit your description. Small boutique accommodation right on Muri beach. There are about 5 or more good restaurants (Sails, Pacific Resort, Flame Tree, Rickshaw and Muri Beach Club) within about a couple hundred meters. The units have kitchens but people don’t use them much. I think it is a 12 and over place as far as kids go we have rarely seen any kids in the times we have stayed there.

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cook Island Hoheymoon

Just because a place has a kitchen doesn't mean you have to use it. You might however, be happy to have a fridge available to keep beer, juice or other drinks cold as well as having ice available.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,726 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cook Island Hoheymoon

One of the great things about having self contained accommodation with kitchen is that the units are usually bigger.

You certainly don't need to cook at all. But you might, for example, want to buy some fresh paw paw to eat at lunchtime and it's useful to have plates, knives etc to cut it up to eat.

You just get total flexibility which is what we like.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Level Contributor
20 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cook Island Hoheymoon

All of those listed are lovely.And pricey too, tho it is your honeymoon. Another option to throw into the mix is Cooks Bay Villas. Theyre not cheap as they are exclusive accom but I know they are price competitive at that top end and I cant rave enough about them. They are not no-kids but there are only 6 villas (so there is a good chance you wont see or hear a child) and they are so lovely and right on the lagoon with all you could ever want inside. They each have their own private hot spa and outdoor bathroom (w hot water). There is a pool and a wonderful BBQ area if you wanted to cook a BBQ.They have fab glass bottomed kayaks (1 per villa) and all the fancy sound equipment so you can play your own music. They are about a 15 step walk to the prettiest and safest part of the lagoon. (go google it...really - I have had heaps of friends stay there and of those who have come back to Raro, they have ALL gone back as they couldnt fault it.) They do have a full kitchen but you dont have to use it. They provide fresh fruit breakfast and you get a loaf of bread and condiments so you can have toast and fruit at home if you wanted. It is nearly opp Wigmores S/mkt so if you run out of tonic for your gin or wine or crisps or nuts to have to with said gin, you can dash over and grab it in 5 mins. There is Coco Latte cafe about a 3 min walk away which is really good and Vaima restaurant about a 4 min walk up the beach, but do get a car or motor scooter. Im happy to give you a list of what I consider to be great places to eat. You will need transport I think. Raro is only 31.5 km all the way around but the restaurants are mostly spread out.....and for the record, my picks are (for dinner) Tuoro (at Blackrock villas which is only open Sat and Sun night and is BYO; Tamarind House for lunch or dinner; The Sands at Moana Sands, Vaima (a 4 min walk from Cooks Bay Villas), The Pacific Resort restaurant right on the beach at Muri, Flame Tree, Rickshaw, Trader Jacks, Bamboo Jacks, Le Bon Vivant. For lunch and breakfast try the cafe at Little Polynesian, Salsa cafe, Coco Latte, (a 3 mins walk from Cooks Bay Villas) Saltwater Cafe (is open Sunday which much isnt), The Mooring (lunch only and is open Sun)....and there are more I can give you if you want ask.

Aug is whale watching month so you will almost def see whales then, esp if you are in a beachfront villa. You may also see them in Sept. It is cool by Raro standards then....about 18 deg C at night and mid 20s in the daytime. The water temp is 22-24 deg C. But if you are a kiwi that might suit you as its not humid and sweaty then.Id also look and see if your budget will stretch to a few days on Aitutaki at Tumunu resort (kid free) as you need to do the Aitutaki lagoon cruise. I did it about 20 years ago and did it again with my family a couple of weeks back and it is mind-blowingly fantastic.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cook Island Hoheymoon

All fantastic suggestions. I like the Cooks Bay Villas idea. Thank you Joandtwins for your great response, all those details will be so useful when we visit in August!! When we travel, I always research and then I write directly to hotels and resorts (or phone) and ask about specials...... this approach sometimes results in more competitive pricing and an upgrade too (!) . I find often it's more beneficial, and more friendly than an impersonal booking via a website or a travel agent.

Good luck with your searching and planning, -consider a trip to Aitutaki!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Level Contributor
20 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cook Island Hoheymoon

Definitely go direct to Cooks Bay Villas and tell Shine that Jo said she'd do you a great deal....they are v popular so get in quick

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cook Island Hoheymoon

Thanks so much for all of the replies! Very useful and some great ideas.

I do like the look of the Cooks Villas so will get in touch with them.

It seems like all of their villas are 2 bedroom which seems like a bit of a waste for us!

Have also got hold of Royale Takitimu as they have kind of romance deal which would be nice.

Only going to do this honeymoon business once so may as well do it right!

Canada/Australia
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cook Island Hoheymoon

Royale Takitumu is on a beautiful beach and is a lovely boutique resort. We have stayed next door to the resort. Really good snorkelling. As it the case with most of the southern part of Rarotonga.

We will be staying at Cooks Bay Villas in September and were offered a much better rate by emailing them directly. From the price on their web page we wouldn't have even considered staying here. This is only two of us.

Sportskid1
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Cook Island Hoheymoon

Mignt want to look into Sea Change Villas as well. We booked with them for our frist trip to Cooks in Sept and the look really nice and have great reviews. A bit more secluded though so not sure if that is a positive or negative for you. I am with you and really don't want to cook but I think having a kitchen will be nice for breakfast or lunch if you just want to lounge around the room and not have to go anywhere. Plust we can keep our booze cold!

10. Re: Cook Island Hoheymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2014, 05:15