We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kava in Rarotonga?

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
Kava in Rarotonga?

I know that there is no more true kava culture on the islands, but perhaps some people still grow or sell it (even if it's imported)? Do you know of any place in Raro where I could buy kava?

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kava in Rarotonga?

I would appreciate any info on kava being grown or sold anywhere in the Cooks.

Arorangi
Level Contributor
556 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kava in Rarotonga?

As far as I am aware the only ones that use kava in the Cooks are members of the Fijian community. I know it is sold within the community - but can't recall seeing it being sold in retail stores.

You sound pretty desperate to give it a go...

RBB

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,555 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kava in Rarotonga?

If you want kava you should go to Fiji or Vanuatu. Not a Cook Islander tradition

Regards

Suzi

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kava in Rarotonga?

iWell, I do know that kava is no longer popular in the Cook Islands (even though it certainly used to be a big part of the local tradition!). However, I thought that perhaps some people still grow it in their gardens.

Masterton, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kava in Rarotonga?

There is some growing in the hills..... go for a walk with Pa and he will give you some to chew :)

Suva City, Central...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kava in Rarotonga?

Does anyone know what price kava is sold in Cook Islands?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kava in Rarotonga?

Kia Orana Jay, welcome to the forum.

You are probably best to ask members of the Fijian association on Rarotonga, if you know any here?

Kia manuia.

8. Re: Kava in Rarotonga?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2015, 07:17