We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Travel

Salamander Bay
Level Contributor
16 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Solo Travel

Has anyone been to Cook Islands on their own? I have left it to the last minute to take a holiday and cant find anyone to travel with. Ill be heading away early July - just wondering if I will seem like a Nellie No Friends or is it somewhere that solo travellers can go and be amongst other travellers on their own too?

Kawerau, New Zealand
Level Contributor
492 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Travel

I will be travelling to Rarotonga on my own for the first time in a few weeks.

I have decided to stay at a mixture of backpackers (in a single room) and guests houses, I hope that will give me the opportunity to meet people but have my own space, not knowing what any of the places are like I have hedged my bets and booked at Tiare Village near Avarua, then Aremango Guesthouse near Muri, Rarotonga Backpackers , International Backpackers and Maiana Guesthouse....some have pools, some the beach, most have a share kitchen. They vary in price from $30 NZ- $55 NZ per night for my own room, if one isnt that great it wont spoil my whole trip :)

Salamander Bay
Level Contributor
16 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Travel

thats a good idea - im going for a week so I am leaning towards Club Raro - I have had a few friends go over and say this is basic but clean and comfortable. What dates are you going? Im hoping for the 5th July for a week :)

Kawerau, New Zealand
Level Contributor
492 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Travel

Heading over on the 14th June, looking forward to escaping the winter weather

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Travel

Anita the beach is awful at Club Raro and not really swimmable. Shallow and rocky. It is also known as drunken party central - depends on your tastes. If swimming off the beach from your accommodation is important you would be much better off staying elsewhere.

Amysmum578 that is an awful lot of accommodation changes for such a small island - you will be spending half your holiday packing up and moving. I would really think about cutting out a few

Regards

Suzi

Salamander Bay
Level Contributor
16 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo Travel

Thanks Suzi - mmmmm you have me thinking - my budget is quite low as I have another holiday I am going on in September. Any other suggestions? I am not a big drinker but can fit in with the best of them for an occasional fun night. The beach part isnt as important as staying somewhere that I am not going to the be only solo traveller in amongst a heap of couples?? Really appreciate your feedback :)

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo Travel

Hi Anita

I would send a personal message to Ms Vancouver. Before she moved to Rarotonga she was a regular solo traveller to the Island. Her advice is always fantastic, honest and unbiased

Regards

Suzi

Salamander Bay
Level Contributor
16 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo Travel

ok thanks for that :)

Kawerau, New Zealand
Level Contributor
492 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo Travel

I have 3, 4 or 5 nights in each place, so I think it will be enough time to get bored and want to pack up and move on. I wont have a car so thought it would work reasonably well to stay in an area,explore that area , then move on to the next area, I normally find it quite interesting trying a few different places, Rarotonga is a bit smaller than other places I've been but I dont think I'll get bored- the weather will be warmer than here in Chch at the moment so thats a good start

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo Travel

Hi amysmum,

You certainly have the island covered, with the number and range of accommodation properties. You could reduce the number to 3 including Aremango, Maiana's and Rarotonga Backpackers and still receive a very similar experience. Just a thought - as you've possibly had confirmations from all the accommodators by now.

Kia Orana Anita - welcome to the forum. I haven't heard Club Raro being described as "party central" and I live here! Perhaps it's name conjures up that image? I've enjoyed a quiet drink during happy hour on numerous occasions in recent months, and the place and guests always seem orderly at that hour of day.

For an alternative place to stay only 4 weeks away, it's most likely that other places are booked already. If you are especially concerned about your accommodation choice, in a similar price-range are Paradise Inn; Puaikura Lodges; Castaways Resort and Cooks Oasis.

Current TA reviews for Club Raro seem favourable -

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294330-d309986…

Kia manuia to you both.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo Travel

Club Raro being described as "party central" can be read in many reviews - if you look for the more authentic reviews - those who have posted and reviewed more than a few times. Beware of the overly positive or negative ones from the newbies or one hit wonders as they are usually fake.

The difficulty with local "impartial" responses is that you need to take into account and to consider allegiances/cousins/friends. It is a small island and everyone knows everyone.

Because Club Raro is budget it does attract a lot of the younger crowds who do like to party - great for them - not so much if that is not your style

Regards

Suzi