We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blackberry in Raro?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Blackberry in Raro?

I know, I know... but my travel companion can't live without his and he's wondering if it will work in Raro?

It's a NZ Blackberry with Vodafone NZ.

Also, perhaps I should make this a separate thread, but does anyone know of a tsunami/earthquake SMS service you can sign up to in the Pacific? Again a nervy travel companion has requested.

Thanking you muchly :)

Punanga Nui
Flea & Street Markets
Cook Islands Library & Museum
Art Museums, History Museums
St Joseph's Cathedral
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Churches & Cathedrals
Sydney
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Blackberry in Raro?

i also would like to know if vodafone works in Raro. It would be good to at least be able to send sms if needed.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
811 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blackberry in Raro?

No Problem, Vodafone tunes in to Koko Net in Rarotonga and Aitutaki. Automatically happens when you land there.

I wasn't even registered for Global Roaming. Check the Koko Net website re

weather warnings

Mentioned in this post
Rarotonga
Rarotonga
Southern Cook Islands, Cook Islands
Brisbane
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blackberry in Raro?

Awesome thanks guys!

Is there a web address for Kokonet?

I could only find one for the Seychelles and in German... hmm.

Mentioned in this post
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
16,289 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blackberry in Raro?

Hi neme,

It's Kokanet you want ('koka' as to wander around/go walkabout)!

Email Telecom on sales@telecom.co.ck, or check their website www.telecom.co.ck. Kokanet uses the vodafone system for mobile phones, even though we are owned 49% by Telecom NZ. LOL, trust us to be different. Like the new moniker says - "live differently". That's paradise for you. But I still like our more popular version "Heaven on earth" Have a great stay - and yes it's good to keep in touch with NZ/reality while on holiday - keeps your feet on the ground somehow. Except when you are dancing - need to remain on your toes to 'ura (hula) properly. Cheers.

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,550 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blackberry in Raro?

argh.............crackberry.

sunny regards,

shully

Sydney
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Blackberry in Raro?

YAY! just requested international roaming :)

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
811 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blackberry in Raro?

Kia Orana Frangipani, (and others)

My apologies for incorrect spelling of Kokanet. Sorry to complicate things.

Kokanet works really well, I sent texts worldwide with no problems.

I have been working too hard these holidays instead of going to the beautiful Cook Islands as I did during the July break.

Enjoy your holidays in paradise.

Mentioned in this post
Cook Islands
Cook Islands
South Pacific
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,289 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blackberry in Raro?

No worries toddy, just a simple spelling error. But, I actually really like the name "Kokonet" though - it can be applied to many useful activities - might even call the boat by that name - LOL, look out for it in Aitutaki!!. Slow down, and rest up, and keep you mind on your next trip and things will flow for you toddy. Yah! It's the weekend, although I think more snow is predicted for central N Is. Take care - and keep up the great work with forum info. Cheers - ka kite ano.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
811 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Blackberry in Raro?

Kia Orana Frangipani,

It's great to have you back on the forum, hopefully you are fully recovered now.

Loved "Kokonet" as a name for the boat. We will hire it when we are next in Aitutaki!!! Hopefully next year.

I also liked the sound of Ivmomof4's tubes for snorkelling

Unfortunately I am currently packing (blankets) as we are heading to spend the weekend in the central Nth Island.

You relax and have an extra glass of Sauvignon blanc as I will be missing mine this evening.

Cheers,

Toddy

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,289 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Blackberry in Raro?

Actually toddy, I've just now been reading the Cook islands News online and sipping my fav. Pinot Gris - although not from Waiheke! Also, I read on MoH website that some 20% of Kiwis would have contracted H1N1 this past year, and since Ive recently been nursing confirmed cases in hospital I'm sort of not surprised about my predicament!!!. Our weather north of you is now clearing! Can't wait to get outdoors into garden this weekend. If you and others have time, please review villefranche's pictorial display of their Auckland and Waiheke Is trip on NZ forum. They will follow this slide show up with photos of Rarotonga and Aituitaki in due course - can;'t wait. Cheers - and take care yourself down there in the 'big smoke'. Frangipani.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Rarotonga
Rarotonga
Southern Cook Islands, Cook Islands
Get answers to your questions about Avarua