We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of 5 airport stopover-HELP

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
900 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Family of 5 airport stopover-HELP

We are arriving Rarotonga from Auckland at 1:10 am and departing for Aitutaki at 10:30 am the same morning. I have looked at booking Aquarius Hotel near the airport.

However, we are a family of 5 with 3 teenagers so I do not want to stay in a dorm. If we book rooms, we would have to book 2 rooms with an extra person charge for a grand total charge of $325 for less than 8 hours in a place that doesn't look that great.

Should we just transfer to another area for the 8 hours? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

5 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family of 5 airport stopover-HELP

I think Aquarius would be your best option . We are doing the same thing in July although travelling with 2 kids and booked the room not the dorm as there is an age limit. If my kids were older I would stay in the dorm as it is a lot cheaper. By the time you find alternative accom and pay for transfers for the 5 of you you might end up paying more than $325 in total. It's only 8 hours so really you only need a bed to have a quick sleep. Aquarius is across the road from the airport, a short walk so very convenient. Or you can always hang out at the airport till the morning?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
900 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family of 5 airport stopover-HELP

You are right. I had come to the same conclusion and booked the Aquarius. It would be a nightmare to arrive at 1:30 in the morning after a long flight from Brisbane and then have to hang out at the airport for another flight to Aitutaki. We booked 2 rooms. I think that when we arrive in Rarotonga we will be happy to have booked these rooms.

Melbourne, Australia
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family of 5 airport stopover-HELP

my family of 5 arrived at 0130 we stayed at edgeawater resort with two rooms next to each other. Most hotels will take direct bookings at a discount from the rack rateif they have vacancy.

Edgewater is also close to the airport.

Melbourne, Australia
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family of 5 airport stopover-HELP

my family of 5 arrived at 0130 we stayed at edgeawater resort with two rooms next to each other. Most hotels will take direct bookings at a discount from the rack rateif they have vacancy.

Edgewater is also close to the airport.

Southern Cook...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family of 5 airport stopover-HELP

The Islander Hotel (formerly Aquarius Rarotonga) have refurbished rooms for NZD212 per night for mum, dad, and 2 children with tropical breakfast in the morning. The Islander Hotel is only 200m from the airport terminal - you can walk there with your luggage trolley. You save on hefty taxi fees to / from other hotels to airport.

Edited: 17 July 2016, 22:07
Reply to: Family of 5 airport stopover-HELP
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted