We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather in july

Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
weather in july

can anyone tell me what the weather is like in early july. Is it warm enough to go swimming? also what fruits are in season at this time. I have been to raro in november which seemed pretty nice weatherwise.

7 replies to this topic
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
889 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather in july

July is going to be a bit chilly in the water, but you will probably find it fine as long as you stay in the more sheltered areas on the west and south areas of the island. Not many fruits in season in July, maybe paw paw and some oranges but not much else, it is winter here! You will still find fruits and veggies but they will be hydroponic grown or imported from NZ.

Rural
Level Contributor
119 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather in july

With MsVancouver being a local, she will think it is chilly, but if you are coming from New Zealand you'll find you'll it warm. Last year I swum, although certainly not as warm as it can be and I didn't stay in as long. There were plenty of other people swimming as well especially at the Rarotongan Resort just down from where we were staying.

Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather in july

thanks a couple of years ago we went to gold coast in july although warmer than New Zealand it certainly wasnt swimming weather. The water was freezing. I heard that were there is live coral the water temp dosnt change much with the seasons. Could be wrong though?

Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather in july

ps what season are the coconuts in season. can you buy them from the markets in july?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
806 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather in july

You will get plenty of coconuts in July. You actually have to be careful as they can fall anywhere so if you're on the roads you have to avoid them. Never park your car under a coconut palm.

Rarotonga has a lagoon surrounding it butting into a coral reef protecting you from the ocean, therefore the water doesn't get cold like the ocean beaches on the Gold Coast. The Gold Coast is much more exposed and I have found quite cold and extremely windy in July.

Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weather in july

cheers toddy we have been to raro in nov just the missus and myself this time we are going back with the whole tribe kids mum and my sis (7 of us) I remember how good the snorkelling was but since this time being in july which is dead winter for me was a bit worried could be too cold. I thought in the tropics there is only two seasons dry and wet. hopefully july is the dry season. I also found it to be a lot cheaper of a holiday than going to the gold coast as there is no big department stores and no long distance travelling. Last time i went to raro i think i went around the island 3 times before filling my scooter up with $8 gas! Does anyone have any good suggestions of what to do in raro? we have already been to captain tamas, and tangaroa tours

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,034 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: weather in july

Hi

Wish I could find you more info about water temperatures, but this may help.

colonialvoyage.com/oceania/…climate.html

I've been to southern queensland several times in June/July/August and it can be very cold in the evenings/mornings. In fact, if you look at the NZ Herald weather section compare Brisbane temperatures with Raro temperatures. It's the minimum temperatures you should look at. So cold nights cool down the water temperature as well as air temperatures.

So I think that those of us used to NZ temperatures (air and water) will find Raro very pleasant indeed.

Reply to: weather in july
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted