We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi operating times Rarotonga

Burnie, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Taxi operating times Rarotonga

Hi my partner and I are travelling to Rarotonga in Sept flying Virgin airlines which has the unfortunate arrival time of the wee small hours in the morning. Our accommodation is just over 5 klms from the airport and I was wondering what operation hours for taxi service were as airport transfer fees at $20 per person to our accommodation seem a bit expensive for such a short trip .

3 replies to this topic
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
14,234 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi operating times Rarotonga

Kia Orana Helen, welcome to the forum.

Taxis will meet those late night/early morning flights, but you need to prebook a taxi pickup before you arrive. The taxi association (bright green cabs) have set rates per person depending on the destination around the island. I think the minimum fare as far as the Rarotonga Resort is about $15.00 per person through these operators; but prices may well have increased in recent times

I'm aware that at least one accommodator in the vicinity Arorangi and around 5kms from airport (west side of island) has a mandatory transfer arrangement in place which doesn't include independent taxi pickups. Would pay to enquire from your accommodator about the transfer systems they have in place early in the morning that will also include access to your room/villa from your flight.

All the best for your travel plans. Kia manuia.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi operating times Rarotonga

Hi Helen,

Are you intending to hire a car whilst you're in Rarotonga? If so, it may be worthwhile organising to have have a hire car waiting for you at the airport when you arrive.

If, however, you do decide to go with the taxi idea, you may find the following link useful. It contains all the information you require.

http://www.cookislands.travel/taxi

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi operating times Rarotonga

Some resorts require that you use the airport transfer service as they have an arrangement for the driver to show you to your room to cause least disturbance to other guests in the middle of the night. Check if that's the case before going further down the taxi route.

If you're unfamiliar with Rarotonga, trying to find your accommodation in the dark (using the hire car option) may be tricky because street numbers aren't used.

Have a great trip.

Reply to: Taxi operating times Rarotonga
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted