We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Digicel or vodafone pre paid data.?

2 posts
Save Topic
Digicel or vodafone pre paid data.?

Hi all i was just woundering if Anybody that has been to.fiji recently had a preference between digicel or vodafone for pre paid data sim cards

And Also any prices

Thanks

1 reply
Dunedin
Destination Expert
for Mana Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Digicel or vodafone pre paid data.?

I have just returned today following 4 weeks in Fiji - I have a permanent pre-paid Fiji fone number with Vodafone Fiji. I was given complimentary data (due to another big issue) and tethered this via my Fiji fone to my iPad (Samsung Android) I was in the Mamanuca Islands, Nadi and several places on the Coral Coast - internet access, reliability, speed was a 'nightmare'. Dropped in and out, texts never arrived at their destination, calls 'diverted'. Many times the complete network 'goes down', due to weather conditions (heavy rain, thunder, lightening), overloading etc. Some success around 4am-5am in the mornings! Depends on where you will be staying, 4G in some areas but not all. On arrival at airport go to the Vodafone outlet and they will give you a free SIM with a local number. They are very helpful. This number lasts for 3 months unless you top it up when home, or before you leave. You will have to buy some credit - $11 will give you 2.2GB, $15, 4GB; $25, 8GB; $35 gives 21GB; $65, 70GB and $100 will give you 110GB. International fone calls are cheap and specials come out each week (to your fone). There are no facilities on the Islands for topping up, but plenty of Vodafone outlets, service stations, supermarkets on the mainland to buy 'credit'. When buying more data using the credit on your fone dial *555# and following instructions. Dial *131# which will give you a balance and how much data left. Fairly easy. Digicel operates similar facilities. Look up Vodafone Fiji and Digicel Fiji websites for details on coverage etc. I also take my Vodafone NZ fone on full contract, data roaming. Ensure that your fone is unlocked and has data roaming capabilities. Some restaurants have free wi-fi but must buy a meal or drinks, some resorts have free wi-fi in selected areas. You will have to ask for their password. Remember that there is a tremendous amount of mobile traffic in Fiji -everyone has at least 1 or more fones via 1-2 providers. Hope this helps, and good luck.

Reply to: Digicel or vodafone pre paid data.?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted