We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving resort advice

San Francisco
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Diving resort advice

Hi,

My hubby & I are planning an anniversary celebration in Fiji this May and can't decide where to stay! Maravu or Garden Island on Taveuni, vs. Lalati on Beqa Island. Please help. We prefer somewhere pretty and romantic with excellent diving (without long boat rides). Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
S.F.
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving resort advice

The waters around Taveuni have the best rep for diving in Fiji. Don't see how you can go wrong with any of them.

Fiji Islands
Level Contributor
693 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving resort advice

Both Beqa and Taveuni Islands are renowned for diving - world class experiences. So you can't go wrong with any of these. However, in my opinion, of the resorts you mentioned, the best would be Maravu. Food is exceptional, bures are lovely, and the resort management and staff are warm and welcoming. Garden Islands is a refurbished Travelodge, so it's a real motel feel. The diving staff is exceptional, and if you were going in a dive group, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Garden Island, but definitely not for a romantic getaway.

Lalati is pretty, but you are basically at the resort - period. You can visit villages and waterfalls, but there are no roads, so you are mostly resort-based. In Taveuni, there are a lot more places to see and do, and that would get my vote hands down.

On either island (Beqa or Taveuni) the diving is within close distance. About 10-15 min. boat ride away.

Good luck and enjoy

Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
86 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving resort advice

I agree wtih Fiji-Suz. We stayed at the Garden Island Resort October 2006 and the diving was the best we've had in Fiji - tons of soft coral, hard coral, fish. The resort is a short ride to the Rainbow Reef and the surface intervals were on a beautiful crescent-shaped beach.

We stayed at Beqa (Kulu Bay Resort) September 2005 and the diving was good but even that resort wasn't really romantic - and Kulu Bay had the most mosquitoes we've ever experienced in Fiji.

I recommend you decide whether you want a romantic spot or great diving - and book your vacation based on your priority as you probably won't find a place with fabulous diving that is also really beautiful and romantic.

Hope this helps -

Cindy

4. Re: Diving resort advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 14:17