We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with Infant

Melbourne
Level Contributor
15 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling with Infant

Hello everyone,

I am really enjoying this website and all the forums. You guys are all full of wonderful advice. Hopefully some of you will have some advice for me too...I have plenty of questions.

We are about to go on our 1st trip to Fiji on Sunday next week and I can't wait. This is also the first holiday with 2 young kids, 4 yo and 10 month old. I booked Fiji as I wanted a great holiday with the family as well as some time to myself...going on what you all had to say....Fijians look after kids really well.

I am after some advise as to what to bring with me for the 10 month old when it comes to food etc. Can I bring Heinz food jars/cans? I notice also that meat and dairy not allowed in but does that include in the sealed bought baby food also? Will I have to have an unopened tin of formula also? Also, can I bring her baby cereal or do I buy that there. I am happy to feed the baby fruit etc that will be available there as I don't have to cook it. The rest I am assuming I will have to give her the jar food.

We are going to the Shangri La first and I have booked a private car transfer in the hope that we can perhaps stop and do some supermarket shopping for some necessities before arriving at the hotel....any suggestions as to where best to stop for this? Do the cars have baby seats or do we just hold the kids on our lap?

I assume the hotels have an abundace of high chairs but should I bring our small foldable one for some "restraint" whilst we are eating outside the hotel?

Later in out holiday we're off to the Sofitel in Denarau. I know now that it is not the best of what Fiji has to offer but I figure we can go on some day trips to the islands ( and perhaps research our next holiday to Fiji). Any advice on what to do with an infant in tow at Denarau?

Sorry for all the questions but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling with Infant

My nieces baby was 10 months old when we went last October, she bought everything over with her. All the jars and cereal were in her checked in luggage plus a heap of disposable nappies. She also found that the 10 month old prefered what she(mum) was eating at the resorts then her baby food.

As for car seats you might be better off asking your travel agent to get in touch with the private transfer company and request a car seat, as a lot don't have them and you have to nurse your baby on your lap which can be quite scary when you see the driving tactics. But having a private transfer you should be ok.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
703 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling with Infant

Hi there, We took our eldest daughter to the Shangri la when she was 11 months old. We also had a private car transfer that we'd booked through our travel agent. I requested a car seat and one was provided. I must say, though, that the car seat had seen better days but it was definately better than nothing. On subsequent trips with our other children I have just taken our own car seat over with us because I've wanted to use it in the Super Shuttle that now takes us from home to the airport when we travel. Its no trouble so just do whichever suits you better. Your four year old will be sitting in a normal seat because I doubt they would be able to provide boosters. As I think back, we have either taken our own booster seat, or our booster cushion (like a booster seat but no back). Then we bought this little safety device (called SafeFit) that slips on to the seat belt and thereby pulls the sash down away from the child's neck. Its so much easier to travel with so thats what we take now.

In terms of highchairs, we just ate at the resort and all the restaurants there have highchairs. When you are at the Sofitel you might eat outside the resort (it's food prices are very expensive) but then again you are most likely going to go to one of the other Denarau resort restaurants on the Bula Bus route which will all have highchairs . Even if you go to Cardos at the Marina, there is a highchair. We were there two weeks ago and used it but I suggest you book it in advance because I never saw more than one.

In terms of food I took her baby muesli, formula and baby food jars. As long as they are all unopened and sealed you should be fine. In the morning, I would feed our daughter her baby muesli in the room before we went to the restaurant and then she would sit in the highchair and nibble at pieces of toast and fruit. That way I got to enjoy my breakfast rather than use one hand to spoon muesli into her! You may find your own foldable highchair useful for any in-room feeding you do but we just sat our daugher in her push chair. On that trip I took over a new tin of baby formula but on others I've taken those individual packets of forumula.

I think you've made a wonderful decision going to Fiji - we believe there is no better family holiday and we treasure so many special memories as you will too. Can I suggest you check out www.travelwithkidsonline.com and go to the Shangrila and Sofitel webpages. You will be able to find out the babysitting rates, childrens menus, kids club activities and lots more family friendly information. Have a great trip!!!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
15 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling with Infant

Thank you jldev and ellietia. I feel a lot more reassured now.

4. Re: Travelling with Infant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 07:18