We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Castaway beach bure

Melbourne
Level Contributor
202 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Castaway beach bure

Have read conflicting reports re: best side of the island to stay on.

We're looking at a beach bure in August. Is the north side or the south side windier? And is it really a factor for that time of year? Which side is quieter?

Thanks in advance,

zorcon

London,UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Castaway beach bure

Hi there,

We had a beach bure on the south side ( I think) - to the right as UR facing the resort towards the end of the island. It was great as it was away from the centre of things so afforded the privacy we wanted. Definitely on the quiet side.

The bures on the other side are closer to the hub of activity - volleybal net is there, catamarans are beached there etc, but having said that, they still seemed private enough (they are nestled amongst trees further back as the beach there is wider and tended to be busier) - just that more people used that side of the beach so yr privacy may be compromised a little. And U wil be noticed as soon as U walk onto the beach. This may or may not bother you.

The wind tended to get up in the afternoon (sou-westerlies/easterlies?) but nothing major. I dont know if this will get worse in August, which is the cooler time of the year.

Hope this helps.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,301 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Castaway beach bure

Zorcon mate, the tradewinds blow from the south east though wind shifts in August are common. I don't think being on the windier or breezy side is a bad thing, on the contrary. Coolest time of the year or not i would rather have some air movement and be comfortable. Looking forward to hear how you compare Castaway to Plantation. pub

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Castaway beach bure

Hi Zorcon, it's the south side which seems quieter. We stayed on this side but my niece and her husband were on the north side and it was much busier as this is where the majority of people were swimming etc. I did notice the people in the beach bure's in front of us snorkelling right in front of their bure but the main area for this was in front of the resturant and towards the north beach.

Have a great time, we loved Castaway...

Melbourne
Level Contributor
202 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Castaway beach bure

You people are CHAMPIONS! Thanks a heap. Will book some time later this week - CAN'T WAIT!!

Thanks em & ellie. Pub old fella - will definitely report back once we return.

Stay cool.

Zorcon

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Castaway beach bure

Hi zorcon, so did you end up going to castaway?? I was wanting ask you if you had been, about the north or south side, in terms of which is better to stay on??..

Melbourne
Level Contributor
202 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Castaway beach bure

Tiger - indeed we went - October 27-November 2. Had a blast. For a full report, check out the review I did in the reviews section. In short, though, we did end up staying on the south side. The unfortunate thing about that side is that the beach got washed away some time ago, so now there's a rather unattractive rock retaining wall along that side. That said, it is undoubtedly quieter on that side. We stayed in room 33, which was excellent - close to pool, kids' club, restaurants/bars, but nice and quiet. We got more of the cooling breeze on that side too. So it depends - if you want the nicer beach - go north. If you want more peace, quiet & a cooling breeze, go south. One last thing - we asked the resort to give us one of the bures closer to the resort hub, and they produced. So check out the resort map on the website, and email them with a request.

Zorcon.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Castaway beach bure

Thank Zorcon, I just sent an email to the resort direct, just before I did that, I looked at the map on the website, I noticed some of the Oceanfront bures sit more further back than others, so I made a point to request 33 or 37, they are situated more upfront, and not too far to the resort facilities...

I did receive a reply email from the resort straight away stating they would do the best possible to fullfill the request, now that is prompt and good service, I must say!

I cant wait It should be great!...

Any more good pointers??...

Is the beach on the south side great for snorkelling and swimming..? ..Cheers Tigerlilly

Melbourne
Level Contributor
202 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Castaway beach bure

Well Tiger, I have to say the snorkelling didn't really blow me away all that much. My only comparison as a rank amateur is Plantation Island last year, where the visibility was good and the access to an interesting array of fish and coral was fine. I think there has been some recent storm damage to the coral at Castaway. The north side has better snorkelling, especially past Monkey Rock, near the channel marker. But wherever your bure is, nothing is too far a walk. One time I went as far south as I could (past the staff quarters) and had a good snorkel over there, but there was a large patch that was badly damaged. Keep in mind the comment about the rank amateur though - other, more experienced Castaway-ites may advise you to the contrary, and I'm happy to defer to their opinions. One thing's for sure - pick a day when the swell isn't too big, and go on the outer reef snorkelling trip - THAT coral was AMAZING! The fish stayed away a little though because of the swell. I didn't try the inner reef trip though - that might be worth a look, and it's only $20FJ. Otherwise - no more tips, or you'll fill your head with too much info. Go, enjoy yourself. I'm sure you will.

Zorcon.

9. Re: Castaway beach bure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 13:17