We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coral Coast questions

California
Level Contributor
378 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Coral Coast questions

Hi everyone,

my husband and I arrive in the middle of January, staying in Korokoro area on Coral Coast.

What is the weather in January? will it rain a lot?

what day trips to islands you will crecommend?

what is the best deal and service in scuba diving in that area?

what is the best place to shop for souvenirs on Coral Coast?

are the beaches in korokoro area nice?

thanks so much

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coral Coast questions

The weather in January is very hot and humid, one of the worst months of the year. The rain situation is a grab bag. Rainy season weather can be sunny until late afternoon, then downpours. All day cloud cover and rain is also possible. The main island is more humid and prone to rain with it's mountains that catch clouds. The sun is directly overhead at noon and fierce, beware.

As for day trips to islands, that is where you should be staying. The main island is not where it's at. The beaches are awful on the coral coast. Natadola is very nice but that's it. I know I've seen you post before and forgive me if I have said this back then but why the main island? As for what I've told you I'm very opinionated because of my experience and love for the South Pacific. I believe in telling the truth or at least the way I see it, no holds barred. You deserve to know. Pub

Mentioned in this post
Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,676 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coral Coast questions

Pub pretty much sums it up. It is usually a lot drier on the outer islands and not quite so humid, sea breezes. The Coral coast has mostly shallow lagoons making swimming at low tide pretty impossible. Visually it is beautiful. You can also take many day trips from the area. Hotel or resort tour desks can advise. Same with island cruises. Souvenier shopping at Sigatoka is good and also there is a place on the main road in th vicinity of Hideaway resort that is good too. There are a few dive dive centres in the area. If you Google diving on the coral coast fiji you will locate them.

If you are able to get to the islands do but anyway I'm sure you will have a good time.

in Fiji
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Coral Coast questions

this might be slightly more helpful.....

it might rain, it will be hot and pretty humid. luckily you get the tradewinds which make it much more bearable than the "burning west'

Islands - depends what you want - there are trips that cruise around several islands - the Whale's tail is very nice. Robinson crusoe and Mala mala are both enjoyable day trips. Brochures are at all tour desks.

Diving - Diveaway fiji (www.diveaway-fiji.com) are excellent, with great diving close at hand

Souvenirs - in Vatukarasa village (just west of hideaway Resort) there are 2 excellent souvenir shops, Baravi and Kuki's. In Sigatoka Tapoos is very good and does excellent coffee, there is also jacks which is big but less quality.

Korokoro? If you mean Korotogo, no, the beaches arent great. Nice beaches - for lying on: Natadola, Mango bay. beaches for day trips/walking - Sigatoka sand dunes beach, Sovi bay (turtle nesting beach.)

Don't worry about Pub. she's got a bee in her bonnet. you'll have a lovely time and there are 1001 more interesting things to do and see than there are stuck on a hot pricey sand spit!

Fiji Islands
Level Contributor
693 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coral Coast questions

BULA, from fabulous Fiji!

I guess I'll throw my .02 cents in as well!

You can't really tell in January what the weather will be like. It's Mother Nature, and she is notoriously fickle. Last year as I recall, January was a fine month. Will it rain alot? Who knows? Remember, you are coming to the tropics, and something has to feed all that greenery!

I'm not sure where you are staying (there is no korokoro), but a key suggestion would be to make sure the accommodations is air conditioned. I live on the Coral Coast, but I am way off the main road, on a huge hill overlooking the ocean, with windows from floor to ceiling 360 degrees around me, so I can do without air conditioning, but resorts aren't built like our house!

Most of the large resorts have dive operators - Dive Away is indeed one of the best on the Coral Coast for the freelancers. Mike's Divers used to be terrific, but the owners have backed out and now it is totally village owned, so I can't verify if they have maintained their standards. The very best - bar none - in that general area is Aqua Trek, located in Pacific Harbour. They are top notch, but a bit aways from you. However, if you are interested in their "big creature encounter" or their specialty "shark feed dive" you can arrange pick up and drop off with them. Also, they dive Beqa Lagoon, which, if you have a chance to do for a day, shouldn't be missed. It's one of the "1,000 Places to See Before You Die" and one of the reasons Fiji earned it's moniker of the "Soft Coral Capital of the World."

Baravi is by far the best little souvenir shop.. Nice, clean, big and they buy a lot of their items directly from the villagers.

MAKE SURE you book a River's Fiji trip. This will definitely be the highlight of your stay in Fiji. And something you can't get out in the outer western islands (which, by the way, will be very hot this time of year). The Upper Navua rafting trip is an all day affair and award winning. They'll pick you up, drop you off, and you'll spend the day in Fiji's "Grand Canyon" region, which is spectacular.

Another fun trip is the Jet Ski Safari operating out of Pacific Harbour.

Robinson Crusoe Island trip (as previously suggested) is not a true day cruise, but a fun trip to a small outer island that's economical and close to where you'll be.

I suggest checking at the Rosie's Tour Desk at your resort (if you are staying at one of the larger ones - you never said where you'd be staying) and you can check out all the brochures of activities that abound in the area.

Diving is much better off the main island than it is off the Mamaucas. Not as good as Taveuni, Kadavu or Beqa, but better than the Mamas - mainly because in the Mamamucas you don't get the soft corals, which are what Fiji is famous for!

Hope this is helpful, and ENJOY your vacation!

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coral Coast questions

Upa palm, Pub is a man. 6 foot 3 inch 260 lbs of bodybuilt man and I don't have a bee in my bonnet. I don't wear one. I tell it how I feel because I have the experience to back it up. I can't think of too many people on this site who aren't travel agents, or live in the regioin who have vacationed there more than I. 20 times for over 400 days total, in other words I have spent well over 1 year of my life vacationing in the South sea. I have seen many beautiful islands, including Aitutaki when hardly any thing was there and Bora Bora under the same conditions as Aitutaki and also for much more affordability than today's ruined version. Viti Levu and the coral coast rank far down on my list of the places I have been. Sorry but that's how it is, to me. How did you ever get the impression I was a she?

Mentioned in this post
Aitutaki
Aitutaki
Southern Cook Islands, Cook Islands
Bora Bora
Bora Bora
Society Islands, French Polynesia
queensland
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coral Coast questions

HAHAHAHAHAHA,

Oh pub my dear friend..i was having the best belly laugh when i was reading that you were a girl with a bee in your bonnet.....

Im sure your input was well worth it for rda555....you know me, i love the Warwick on the coral coast but its not for everyone and i think if you cant give an honest account of the area from your point of view then the worlds gone mad.

Keep telling it as you feel as id be lost without your..GIRL thoughts,hahahahah...you sound like..MAGNUM PI ..to me.You are the only one on here that gives honesty....oh yeah..im glad you dont wear a bonnet,hahah...god ill laugh all day over that comment.

You take care and keep up the great info you give.

Cheers... Warwick

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,676 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coral Coast questions

Oh dear Pub, the mind boggles!!!!! A bonnet? It gave me a much neeed laugh, pretty miserable here in Sydney today. Cold and wet. a hotel on the coral coast sounds good at the moment (don't worry would have to be a freeby) I'm still an island GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in Fiji
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Coral Coast questions

Gosh Pub, I am sorry. Your postings just come over as very feminine to me. i had you pictured as a liitle old lady sitting on the beach under her brolly reading a jackie Collins novel. Just goes to show how misleading these things can be, eh?

Shall readjust mental picture accordingly.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coral Coast questions

Upapalm, your apology does not make me feel any better. Nor does it hold any weight. Feminine postings? Well at at least my friends Warrick and Hooked are having another good laugh.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coral Coast questions

Pub you know we all love you.....if it wasn't for your reply to my first posting ages ago we would not of enjoyed our tropical island experience.

Regular readers would of known Pub was a 6ft body building hunk of a man :) At least that was the mental picture I had LOL

Keep up the great work.....