We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Tips for Visiting Australia, New Zealand & Fiji Islands?

Larnaca
3 posts
Save Topic
Any Tips for Visiting Australia, New Zealand & Fiji Islands?

Hi Everyone,

Am new here so please excuse me if any of this sounds really stupid!

We're hoping to have an extended holiday (2-3 months) taking in the above later this year. Have NO idea about that part of the world at all - including when the best times to visit are or what order to do it. Have heard that December/January is a good time to visit Australia but just read it can be a bit hit and miss for Fiji.

Any/all tips very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Chris

PS: We'll be setting off from Cyprus

Melbourne
Level Contributor
202 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Tips for Visiting Australia, New Zealand & Fiji Islands?

Usually hot pretty much all over Australia at that time of year. It's the wet season in the tropics too, so the far north of Australia, and indeed Fiji, will be fairly hot, sticky, uncomfortable & potentially very wet. So much to do, so little time Chris - I wish you luck!

Zorcon

Larnaca
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Tips for Visiting Australia, New Zealand & Fiji Islands?

Thanks Zorcon. We're not tied to any timescale so when WOULD the best time of year be for such a trip please? Any ideas? Also any tips on what 'order' to arrange the tour?

(I meant it when I said I really do know NOTHING about that part of the world! LOL)

Chris

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Tips for Visiting Australia, New Zealand & Fiji Islands?

Any idea where in Australia you'd like to visit? My pick would be October, we had beautiful weather in Fiji last year in October staying on an island and depending where in Australia you are heading the weather should be pretty good as well. Not sure about New Zealand, but it sounds like a great trip...

Melbourne
Level Contributor
202 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Tips for Visiting Australia, New Zealand & Fiji Islands?

I think Ellie's got it right - don't know Fiji all that well, but if you could head there as early as possible (i.e. October, as suggested), then gradually head west (NZ, Aus). There's heaps to see & do in Sydney, I live in Melbourne (GREAT for restaurants, bars, parks/gardens, major events, shopping, sport), just about every capital city has a great wine district nearby, have never been to the Daintree Rainforest, but I think it would be spectacular, a trip to the desert would be cool - Uluru (Ayer's Rock) etc, there's a million great beaches along the whole east coast of Aus, including Tasmania, and plenty around Perth...any other people have any other ideas???...(no offence intended to Adelaide - love the place, nor to the Northern Territory).

Zorcon.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Tips for Visiting Australia, New Zealand & Fiji Islands?

Totally agree with October for the islands- have you considered Rarotonga instead of Fiji? I would rate it as one of the most beautiful places in the world....and its cheaper than Fiji. Its tiny, has a stunning lagoon, and you can day trip to Aitutaki for the ultimate experience.

NZ will still be a little cold in October but Oz should be great. Dont miss a few days in Auckland, Hawkes Bay and then you absolutely have to visit Queenstown. Plenty to do (its our adventure capital) and you can drive from Nelson, through to Christchurch and then on to Queenstown. There is also a great train journey in the south island.

If you are going to Fiji, I would explore the outer islands as the main island is not the 'picture postcard' white beaches, clear lagoons....off the mainland is though.

Hope that helps!

Batesford, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any Tips for Visiting Australia, New Zealand & Fiji Islands?

Hi There, Make sure you see the great ocean Road if you come to oz. I am pretty sure Fiji is hot and sticky at that time of year!! Good luck with your trip.

7. Re: Any Tips for Visiting Australia, New Zealand & Fiji Islands?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 18:20