We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to Fiji - Help!

Perth
1 post
Save Topic
New to Fiji - Help!

I am looking at a 10 day trip to Fiji, but have NO idea about which island to go to and where to stay!

I want to spend my time on a gorgeous beach, snorkelling, eating good food and relaxing.

Mid-range accomodation is what i'm after.

Any tips and advice much appreciated!! Thanks

Tuncurry, Australia
Level Contributor
735 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to Fiji - Help!

Hi saltwaterbaby

I have been to fiji 5 times since 2001 and planing a 12 day trip for may this year the beaches on the mainland are not as good as home but i like it as we are in our 50s and just laze around the pools

The Navity Resort on the Coral Coast has an all inclusive package good value Denarau has several good resorts and has the marina for day trips to the outer islands we have not stayed on aney of the islands so cant advise but go with the flow and you will love fiji

Brisbane
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New to Fiji - Help!

Plantation island resort is a good place. I stayed there in 2005 with two kids, it has a beautiful beach and crystal clear waters, though it can have lots of kids there. The food is ok but there are other resorts on the island with places to eat.

I can't advise on other islands but it all depends really if you want kids or no kids really.

Hope this helps to some degree.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
549 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New to Fiji - Help!

Hi Saltwater If 'gorgeous beach' = white sandy beach I would get right away from mainland Fiji e.g. Denaru, Coral Coast and look at the nearby islands in the Mamanucas or Yasawas. Mid range resorts that generally get good reviews on Tripadvisor are: Mamanucas - Matamanoa (no kids u12), Navini, Mana, Castaway, Malolo. Each of these have positives and negatives but if you read 10 or more reviews you'll get some sort of accurate feel for their strengths and weaknesses. Yasawas: And I am not an expert on this area having only visited via two cruises some years ago now - Octopus Resort, Nanuya, again seach tripadvisor under Hotels and Accommodations Yasawa Islands (make sure you put in Islands vs Island) as the former has a much greater selection. Good luck.

Fiji
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: New to Fiji - Help!

Matava Resort on Kadavu Island might be what you're lookin for..was there over the breaks..aww what a fantastic little piece of heaven.Really good snorkellin, tha beach in front of the resort is not really good but you can kayak out to an island adjacent to the resort, say bout 2mins where they got a lovely stretch of sandy beach.Really good kayakin, many small picturesque bays and inlets n cute little islands.Ohh and the food...really really good food,fresh salad everyday,right off their organic garden.The staff have got to be the friendliest in any resort I've ever been to...they'll go out of their way to make sure you have a great experience, not that they feel obliged to, there's just something different about that place....everyone seems all so genuine I mean not your average hotel stage show smile and stuff which makes the experiene all the more perfect. Good rates....value for money.Matava is one of a kind.

Whichever place you choose...hope you like it!!If you go to Matava...report back okay,would love to hear what's kicking there.

5. Re: New to Fiji - Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 19:19