We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfing Tips

Sydney Northern...
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Surfing Tips

We have a trip planned for 2 weeks in May. We plan most of our holidays around my husbands surfing. This time we have compromised to include our two small children (9months and 3.5years). Fiji being a very popular destination for young families and some surfing spots (depending on the time of year, depending on the weather etc).

Apparently the best breaks are not accessable if you are not staying on the right island ie. Cloud Breaks and Restaurants. Just wondering if anyone has more information on this or other surfing spots, tips etc.

I look forward to your reply.

Kind Regards

Heidi (Surfers Wife)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
426 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surfing Tips

Hi Heidi

My husband surfs as well and on our first trip to Fiji we stayed at Musket Cove Resort so that he could get the surf as well as the diving. Johny took surfers out to the breaks by boat and even arranged renting a surf board from another island.

Have a look at the Mamanuca Islands at resorts and contact them about getting a surf. Good luck on finding your dream holiday. Jacqui

Sydney Northern...
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surfing Tips

Thanks for that. We just booked Plantation and Shangri-la. So will look up Johny for a boat ride. I think he was going to take a board with him. He is hopeful of finding swell this time of year.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surfing Tips

Be advised that Big Johnny passed away. Hopefully some one has taken up his service. Heidi, is your husband advanced? Most surfing and all of it in the Mamanuca chain is done in reef breaks. Not on to a beach. Excuse me if you already are aware, just checking. Cheers Pub

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surfing Tips

My nephew did this trip from Castaway and came back saying how it could be very dangerous if you happen to get dumped onto a reef. Be very careful..

Rene

palos verdes, ca
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Surfing Tips

Hi Heidi. My husband and I stayed on Plantation Island for almost three weeks last July. It is a great place for small children, they definitely cater to the little ones. As for surfing, your husband can book a boat trip from Plantation to catch the surf on most mornings. Reef breaks are definitely challenging in those parts, although I'm sure your husband is already aware. The best breaks are those accessible only from Tavarua Island, which is private, in clear view from Plantation. However, Tavarua will let other surfers access Cloudbreak on Saturdays, which is their transition day, when one group is leaving the island and the next arrives, which means there are no Tavarua guests in the water. If your husband has the opportunity to do this, its definitely the best surf in the area. Otherwise, surf is mostly smaller, right hand breaks, while Cloudbreak is a consistent left break. Would like to give you more specifics, but I don't surf, just rely on what my husband tells me when he gets out of the water. If you have the opportunity (invite only, but it is possible), to go to Tavarua, this is definitely your best bet. After Plantation, we also stayed at Rendevous Surf Camp, which is about 45 minutes around the bend from Plantation. This camp is where the Tavarua boats load/unload. Its not nearly as nice as Plantation, but they also have boats that will take you out to the different breaks. Rendevous is also cheaper than Plantation, but does not have as much to do for the little ones. Hope this little bit helps, have a great trip!

Newcastle, NSW...
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Surfing Tips

I went to Fiji a year ago with my fella and a group of friends with the plan for the boys to surf.

Basically one of the previous replys is correct, that to access Cloudbreak you can only do this on the Saturday and you need to be invited. When you get to Fiji start talking to some locals and hopefully someone can hook you up. That's how my fella and his mates managed to get there. But they only allow 15 people (i think that's how many people) at a time on the Saturday and the access is via Tavarua.

We stayed at Shangrai-la and the boys got to surf by hooking up with a local who took them to other surf resorts (which we did not book to stay at due to the group including a child) to then be able to go out for a surf. To surf in Fiji you basically get taken by boat to most breaks.

Hopefully this helps and if you have anymore q's, i can ask my BF for finer details.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
467 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Surfing Tips

bump

Fiji Islands
Level Contributor
693 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Surfing Tips

Although Cloudbreak is the most famous break in Fiji, there is another fabulous break, world class, accessible off the main island and off of Beqa and Yanuca Islands. It's Frigate's, and it's an amazing break, almost equal to Cloudbreak. Waidroka Resort takes surfers to Cloudbreak, and it's a nice, comfortable and colorful little resort in the rainforest. I don't recommend it for a long term stay if you have kids, because they have nannys, but no kids club, so it probably would be a bit boring for the kids and for you as well. But it's worth it for a night or two.

Frigate's, unlike Cloudbreak, is available any day. However, the resort won't go out unless there are a total of 4 surfers wanting to hit the break. So make sure you check to be sure there are surfers at the resort at the time you visit.

Another great surf location is Kadavu Island. Nagigia Resort is quite lovely - it's actually on a separate island but part of the Kadavu Chain. Here the breaks are rarely ever flat, as they practically circle the island. It's in a beautiful and pristine location - absolutely gorgeous, with great food and a very good staff. However, again, with kids, I don't know how they'd do with the long and sometimes choppy/bumpy boat ride from the Kadavu airport over to Nagigia (it's about an hour - a long way with kids!)

ENJOY!

Sydney Northern...
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Surfing Tips

Thank you everyone for your feedback. It will be most helpful when we arrive in Fiji. We have booked to stay at Plantation and Shangri la so hopefully my husband can do some smooth talking and catch a ride at Cloud Breaks on Saturday and hook up with a boat that will take him out to the reefs. Thanks for letting me know Johnny had past away. Thats very sad, I have some friends that were very fond of him - he obviously made a good impression on alot of people.

10. Re: Surfing Tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 18:15