We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best place to stay

Qld
2 posts
Save Topic
best place to stay

My husband, 12 year old son and I are booking a trip to fiji to go in early April for the first time. We intend basing the trip around my husbands surfing and diving but I dont want to be stuck somewhere too remote and would ideally like a resort on an island with other things to do when not surfing and diving. I like the look of the shangri-la. Can anyone give me any advice or suggest a better (similar quality) place to stay. We are much more used to Bali and Asia than the South Pacific.

regards

Caroline

Subsurface Fiji
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Malolosurf co
Brothers Surf Tours
S.F.
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best place to stay

Caroline, this is my mindset but I speak from 20 trips totaling 400 plus days of experience. The south pacific is all about relaxing, doing nothing, and reveling in it. Lying on a beach lounge, reading, napping, snorkeling, or walking along a palm lined beach. Most of all a great south pacific experience will not start at the Shangr-la on the main Fiji island of Viti Levu. Far from it.

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Qld
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best place to stay

Fair enough Pub-7 with all your experience do you have any suggestions?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
531 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best place to stay

Hi Caroline

The Shangri La suits me perfectly because I have 2 small kids and they have a great kids club and my husband like fishing and the Shangri La has it's own game fishing boat. In saying that, there is no surf there and the dive options are pretty limited too. Keep checking these forums for a resort with good surfing, diving and family activies - I'm sure there will be the perfect option for you. Check out Plantation Island.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best place to stay

As redrob says check out Plantation Island. I have been there 11 times spending a good portion of those 400 days right there. That said I have not been for two years and might not ever go there again as they have overbuilt the resort. Many people, rob included like the coral coast, I don't. Beaches are poor, lagoons are nothing either. Any resort in the Mamanuca chain of Fiji whether it be Plantation, Mana, Castaway, Malolo, or Treasure should have excursions to surf spots. These islands all have better beaches, water and atmosphere. Weather too is superior. Tavarua which is a surf resort might not be for you. Caroline, I'm very passionate and opinionated, if you want to stay on the main island don't let me stop you, but again I think it's sub par.

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Malolo Island
Malolo Island
Mamanuca Islands, Fiji
fiji
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: best place to stay

Hi Caroline,

Happy to hear that you are booking to come to Fiji. May I start off my saying that in my opinion, the Shangri-La is not exactly the essence of the Fiji Islands and is farrrr over rated.

You may wis to head to one of the islands off of Viti Levu (the main island) or be adventurous and go further (Vanaua Levu and surrounding islands).

The Coral Coast is 80miles of barrier reefs and beaches and is constantly busy and not exactly the best place (in my opinion) for that 1st Fiji experience.

To get a taste of Fiji, head out to the islands and I guarantee that you will treasure your experience.

Let me know if you wish for me to recommend a few places - I am more than happy to assist.

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Coral Coast
Coral Coast
Viti Levu, Fiji
Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,698 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best place to stay

Hi Caroline

We did the Shangrlai last year - nice place but could be anywhere. Just a 5 star hotel and the beach was pretty crappy. Go to the islands - much better - paradise. Your husband could surf as well. They take surfers our past the reef at plantation - which ha lots to do for all ages - get a bure on the beach though - worth the extra expense. reagrds

Suzi

sydney
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: best place to stay

Hello

Everyone says go to the islands... WHICH One's??? Some have sea snake, some are not very clean or pleasant at all.. Plantation from my quick drop in there 2 yrs ago.. I'd NEVR stay there.

So come on.. where do we stay?

Sydney
Level Contributor
488 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best place to stay

Depends on your budget - there are so many nice places. Give us some more info and we'll bombard you with advice !!

sydney
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: best place to stay

I have 2 children, and we like clean 5 star accom. I want to relax and not worry about what's in the water, or the room!

I want good food, with plenty of choice and a large welcoming swimming pool.

I want a kids club that will keep a 3yr and 7 yr old enticed for hours.

I want a holiday!

Sydney
Level Contributor
488 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best place to stay

Have a look at Castaway, Malolo, Jean Michelle Coustau (sp ? ), Vomo, or maybe the Point at Octopus Resort.

I am sure our Fiji Experts will be able to give you more detailed info.

Hope you find the best place to enjoy your holiday.

J.

Mentioned in this post
Malolo Island
Malolo Island
Mamanuca Islands, Fiji
Octopus Resort
Octopus Resort
1,375 Reviews
Waya Island, Fiji
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific