We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Captain Cook Day Cruise

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
305 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Captain Cook Day Cruise

Can anyone recommend the Tivua Island day cruise run by Captain Cook Cruises?

We are looking for a day trip that includes sailing instead of motoring if anyone has other suggestions?

Thanks

Fiji Islands
Level Contributor
693 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Captain Cook Day Cruise

BULA -

I went on this trip several years ago. It is touted as being on a large sailing schooner, which it is. But on the several occasions where I took the trip, they never raised the sails once. So it is a bit misleading, unless they've changed their ways in the past several years.

Most of the larger companies that do day cruises motor to the islands, as it is the fastest way for them to travel, and non weather dependent. The Seaspray is supposedly using their sails, it's a lovely vessel. It is run by South Seas Cruises and you may want to check with them to be sure they actually raise their sails and travel by wind, not by diesel engines! I've gotten reports back that they do, but you want to be sure.

Coral Cats is another company that offers sailing excursions. It is a smaller company, and I don't know if they have a specific route, or if they go wherever you want them to go. I've booked several groups on their vessel, a lovely catamaran, and they were amenable to most of the requests that the groups had.

Hope tha is a help, and gets you started on your further research!

Victoria
Level Contributor
302 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Captain Cook Day Cruise

My wife and I did that day cruise in December. Here's what I found:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294331-i883-k1613…

Fiji Islands
Level Contributor
693 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Captain Cook Day Cruise

Good review - sometimes the boat is more crowded than others. I just remembered what happened to me when we went on the trip. We had the same problems regarding snorkeling gear. I left mine on the beach and somebody snapped it up. So I waded in the water, on the sandy bottom, and thought I cut myself on coral. I looked at my foot - no cut. But about 2 minutes passed and the pain went all the way up my leg to my knees. I hobbled over to my towel, with the pain getting worse and worse, swelling all the way up from my foot to my knee. The best we could figure is that I got stung by a rock fish (scorpion fish) which is highly poisonous.

It was an awful day for me, as I ended up shivering uncontrollably. The wonderful couple who live on the island were so helpful - the young woman stayed with me and massaged my leg. The pain was much better by the time I got back in the boat for home (actually, someone told me to, well, go to the bathroom on my foot, which made the pain lessen considerably!), but the swelling lasted for a week.

Object lesson - never go out in the sandy bottom without some sort of reef shoes or Teva type strap on sandals (or your fins!). I totally forgot about that and always tell guests to remember their ocean walking shoes!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
437 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Captain Cook Day Cruise

Hi

My daughter and I took this day trip in March 08 and throughly enjoyed every minute.

For a boat to sail instead of motoring would risk not being able to keep to their time tables, which could be more frustrating for customers if planned activities were cut short or worse still, cancelled.

On the return home to Denarau the sails were on full display however the engines continue to operate, so even though we were not fully sailing, it felt like it to us :-)

Can I suggest that once you are on the boat, you keep away from the diesel engines as the fumes can become strong. We were right away and noticed nothing but I did hear a lady complain about it.

The day trip itself is excellent. There was loads of spots to sit and soak in the sun, the water was beautiful for swimming and the snorkling was excellent. The BBQ lunch was plentiful and fresh, the bar was limitless and there was also massages available for additional $$$.

There isnt enough snorkling gear for children so if you have kids, rush to get that equipment first. My daughter missed out however, the guys made a point of going around and asking those who had the gear to pass it on if it wasnt being used. Once we got our hands on the gear, they gave her a one on one snorkling experience that lasted over an hour, so it worked out in our favour. :-)

I felt it was worth every cent and the day was memorable.

Wellington
Level Contributor
347 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Captain Cook Day Cruise

I was quite disappointed by this cruise. The fact of the boat motoring rather than sailing didn't bother me. I even took a look in the engine room.

Almost everything else about the day was lacking in some respect.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g294335-d105…

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
305 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Captain Cook Day Cruise

Thanks for your tips guys.

As we were specifically after sailing we decided against this trip.

Will post a review of our holiday soon.

Wellington
Level Contributor
347 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Captain Cook Day Cruise

Tell the truth, just in regard to the fifteen days (which I know isn't much) we spent in Fiji, only on one or two of those days was there anything approaching what I'd describe as a sailable breeze. (Force 2/3 or above)

So good luck with that.

sydney
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Captain Cook Day Cruise

Hi, we went on this day cruise in September and had a different experience. It was not crowded at all. Perhaps it comes down to different time of year.

We also had sails up but motor running on the way back, which we can totally understand due to timing. In fact we were glad for it, so we knew what time we would get back.

Food, entertainment and scenery were excellent.

My advice is to join in with the crew, they are great fun and looked after us really well.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Captain Cook Day Cruise

My wife and I were able to get two free passes for going to one of those Worldmark Timeshare seminars. We were actually duped into it. In Nadi, there's a booth where they were promoting resort deals. They lady said that all you had to do was go to a 90min seminar and we'd get the free tickets. We didn't know it was a timeshare promo. The timeshare was fairly painless but it did take about 2 1/2 hours of our time at the end of the day. The tour itself is fairly basic, about 1 1/2 hour trip and a 4-5 hour stay. On the boat, they do various activities including a kava ceremony and coconut chopping. They also served tea and pound cake. The island has clear waters and the white sand is a mix between fine and coarse (very rocky in certain areas). For activities, there's snorkeling (one session before lunch, the other after), scuba-diving ($120FJD per person via Reef Safari), glass-bottom boat (HORRIBLE!), and volleyball. The BBQ was glorified roadkill -- bland chicken, oily fish, lamb sausage, with tasteless potato salad and mediocre fruit. Easily the worst meal I had in Fiji. All and all not bad if you don't have to pay for it, but probably not the best day cruise to go on.

10. Re: Captain Cook Day Cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 22:17