We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Young couples first time in Fiji - no idea where to go!!!

8 posts
Save Topic
Young couples first time in Fiji - no idea where to go!!!

Hi. We're a young couple (27 years old)going to Fiji for 10 days around end of Oct-beginning of Nov. It's our first time there and have no idea where to go!!! We don;t want to spend the Earth, but we do not intend to spend our holiday sharing a dorm!! We love to snorkle, scuba dive and do outdoor activities (including lying in the sun - me more than my boyfriend!!!). We would also like somewhere that has the option to go out at night. By this I mean, a nice bar (don't want anything too mad - don't intend to go wild partying, just somewhere for a social drink or two). Any suggestions for resorts/islands to visit?? I get the impression the islands are the way to go!!! Thanks so much for any postings - all will be read with great appreciation.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
209 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Young couples first time in Fiji - no idea where to go!!!

The islands certainly ARE the way to go, in my opinion! Especially the Yasawas.

Take a look at Wayalailai, Octopus & Nanuya Island Resort. The are all reached via the Yasawa Flyer, and you could do a round trip loop, visiting all 3 for 3 nights each.

None of the islands really have separate "bars" from the resorts, but Octopus, and Wayalailai to a lesser extent, have nice bars on site that would afford you the opportunity to stay up late and socialize if you wish.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
209 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Young couples first time in Fiji - no idea where to go!!!

P.S. - forgot to mention that all three of the above resorts have PADI dive centres onsite, and great diving!

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Young couples first time in Fiji - no idea where to go!!!

Agree with safari girl. Octopus is great and if you make a point of getting to know the staff you will have a wonderful bar, cocktail hour was also fun. Would suggest you had a beach front bure, they are fairly simple, but lovely and you get to have your own piece of beach with your own sun beds etc on it. There is also a great mix of age groups there.

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Young couples first time in Fiji - no idea where to go!!!

oops meant wonderful time

Barcelona
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Young couples first time in Fiji - no idea where to go!!!

I lived in Fiji for 2 years and my all time favourite budget island was Nananuira. Get the bus to Ellington Wharf and they come and pick you up in their little motor boat. Cheap bures on the beach. Catch your own fish stoke up the barbie with fallen coconut shells and enjoy. You just need hand lines off the beach and a bit of bread on the hook. Take supplies with you because there is only a small shop and bar on the island. Stay at MacDonalds. Fantastic snorkelling off the jetty and wonderful white sand beach with palm trees.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Young couples first time in Fiji - no idea where to go!!!

Hi GG77!

You could go to the main island of Viti Levu and then make your way from there as it is surrounded by all the other islands.

I have a colleague who spent a business trip in Lautoka last month where they stayed at Tanoa Waterfront Hotel. She said they're offering discounts on weekends that includes free breakfast and gym access until yearend.

Here's their site www.tanoawaterfront-fiji.com/contactus.php

Good luck with your trip!

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Young couples first time in Fiji - no idea where to go!!!

Hi GG77!

You could go to the main island of Viti Levu and then make your way from there as it is surrounded by all the other islands.

I have a colleague who spent a business trip in Lautoka last month where they stayed at Tanoa Waterfront Hotel. She said they're offering discounts on weekends that includes free breakfast and gym access until yearend.

Here's their site www.tanoawaterfront-fiji.com/contactus.php

Good luck with your trip!

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Young couples first time in Fiji - no idea where to go!!!

Ooops. sorry for the double post. i cannot delete the other one. moderator please take charge. tnx!

8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Young couples first time in Fiji - no idea where to go!!!

Thanks for all your posts - I have looked into Octopus and have now booked this - happy days!!! We are staying in an Oceanside Bure. However I saw one or two reviews noting that rats and other creatures can get into the bures because they are tatched. Is this really true? - does this really happen? - am kinda having second thoughts if this is the case. Also we were wondering if we can buy snacks on the island or do we need to bring all snacks with us? Do Octopus just provide 3 meals a day? Thanks again for your posts!!!

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Young couples first time in Fiji - no idea where to go!!!

We did not have any problems with anything in our room apart from one morning there was a cockroach on our curtain, but that was not because the room was not clean and is was imaculate every day but due to heat which you get in any hot country. We def did not need snacks as there was always plenty to eat. The people that have had problem with mice in their rooms are ones that have left snacks out. They do have afternoon tea and cakes if you feel the need, but to be honest the meals were really good and loads of it. Would recommend you take duty free booze with you if you fancy a drink outside your bure. the beach front bures are great and it is like having your own piece of beach. There are mossie nets over the beds which the staff put down at night time. It is a great friendly place to stay, make sure you do the quiz night as it is such fun. We loved the resort and would return.