We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fiji or Vanuatu?

Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Fiji or Vanuatu?

We are planning to go for a 7 day holiday in South Pacific around April 2009. We are financialy limmited so need to find value while still finding an enjoyable holiday. We are travelling as a couple only, no kids. We have no idea which destination is best. We are not snokelers or party people, we want relaxing time and to experience local culture. We are hoping to find some people who have been to both places and can give us a clue.

Mentioned in this post
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
424 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fiji or Vanuatu?

Why don't you message Pub-7 he's been to many PAcific Islands.

We love Fiji, so can't comment on Vanuatu

Mentioned in this post
Vanuatu
Vanuatu
South Pacific
S.F.
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fiji or Vanuatu?

I'll make one of my now rare appearances to anser this. BTW, thanks Mum. I've been all over the pacific and never to Vanuatu. Don't know why but it seems like not as much of a beach destination as the other places I've been. that's what it's all about to me. Fiji all the way. Of course with your leaning towards culture it's maybe a better choice for you.

Mentioned in this post
Vanuatu
Vanuatu
South Pacific
Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
133 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fiji or Vanuatu?

Hi,

my husband and I have been to both Vanuatu (once) and Fiji (3 times), and we prefer Fiji.

We found the fijian people to be more relaxed and friendly. There seems to be more available from a cultural aspect in Fiji.

In our opinion Fiji is also more beautiful.

There is just a feeling in Fiji that makes you feel so good, that we did not get in Vanuatu.

That being said you may need to see what deals you can get, I don't think there was a big difference in prices we paid (accom, food, drinks etc), but there is such a huge range of prices for different accommodations. Maybe make a list of what is most important to you - eg type of hotel, food, beach etc and compare some places.

We will continue to return to Fiji, likely won't return to Vanuatu.

Hope this helps

Ann

Mentioned in this post
Vanuatu
Vanuatu
South Pacific
Heg
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fiji or Vanuatu?

We are the opposite to ozkiwis - love Vanuatu but didn't care for Fiji much. Nadi is grim so you really need to get out to one of the island resorts. We stayed at Nanuya resort which was ok but the 5 hour ferry ride to get there was a bit of a mission. Also -once you are there you are stuck in one place with only the rsport restaurants and facilities to use

Port Vila on the other hand has some great places to stay (check out Lagoon beach resort. Two bedroom apartments on the lagoon with full kitchen and laundry - great value as you can eat in if you want to save some money) The restaurants in PV are wonderful (the steak there is to die for) and you can eat more cheaply in some of the smaller cafes (a lot are also BYO)

Not a typical 'beach' holiday unless you gt out of Vila but fabulous diving and snorkelling. Checxk out the Vanuatu forum for our last trip review.

Mentioned in this post
Vanuatu
Vanuatu
South Pacific
Tuncurry, Australia
Level Contributor
738 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fiji or Vanuatu?

Hi

We have been to Fiji five times and love it but we noticed when we were there in may this year that the smaller resorts are struggling to attract customers and the bigger resorts are tourist traps and not like it was several years ago.

We went to Samoa last year and it is fantastic the tourist industry is just getting started and hasn’t spoiled it yet much more rustic and natural at a reasonable price

Maybe you could consider Samoa we are defiantly going back before it gets spoiled

Mentioned in this post
Samoa
Samoa
South Pacific
Heg
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fiji or Vanuatu?

Hi Daveis

Where did you stay in Samoa? We are trying to get booked there fro this September and any advice would be very welcome. You can email me if you like so as we don't hijack this post

Mentioned in this post
Samoa
Samoa
South Pacific
Tuncurry, Australia
Level Contributor
738 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fiji or Vanuatu?

Hi Heg

I sent you an email but may be you didn’t get it we stayed at aggie greys Lagoon beach contact me direct if you want any moor info

8. Re: Fiji or Vanuatu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 19:18