We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what is the legal drinking age in fiji

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
what is the legal drinking age in fiji

Will be staying at plantation island in december and my nearly 18 year old is wondering if she will be able to have a drink with her meal. How strict are the staff about younger ie 17 year old trying maybe a cocktail, or will just she have to taste mine.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: what is the legal drinking age in fiji

Hi (not so) stupid woman

Not a stupid question at all. I am 99.9% sure that the legal drinking age in Fiji is 17 so your daughter won't have a problem. She will also be able to buy duty free in Nadi on arrival but won't be able to take anything back home as our age is 18 here as you know. We were in Fiji at christmas and my daughter who was only 18 by a week had a cocktail and no one bothered to ask how old she was anyway so I am sure there won't be a problem.

Enjoy your stay I am sure you will love it.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what is the legal drinking age in fiji

not a silly question at all.

let me put it to u this way, i started going to fiji when i was 15 and have been drinking there since then, with no question about age or i.d.

she might not be able to actually go to the bar herself (though i highly doubt this) as, what ive come to understand from previous trips when i wasnt legally old enough, the legal drinking age is 16 but to buy alcohol you are meant to be 18.

but as i said no one checks id anyway, so she will be fine to drink.

i had a cousin who went out clubbing when she was 17 in suva and they didnt even bother for id then, you will find no one is strict in regards to this.

hope you and ur family enjoy ur holiday!!

Fiji Islands
Level Contributor
693 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what is the legal drinking age in fiji

Good morning -

Unfortunately, the poster who was 99.9% sure of the drinking age was off by a year - drinking age in Fiji is 18. However, with that said, they never "card" you (as they do in the US) unless you are going to clubs or bars. If your 17 year old looks close enough to 18, no worries. My son is 17 (going to be 18 in 2 months) and he goes clubbing with his friends already, and has never had a problem. Plantation is pretty relaxed and casual, so I'd go ahead and order that drink for her without worries. No one will even bat an eyelash!

Fiji Islands
Level Contributor
693 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what is the legal drinking age in fiji

Funny thing (and I had to add this) is that the legal drinking age is 18 (not 17 or 16 like the other posters have said), but when you come into the country, they let a 16 year old (with parents I think) purchase alcohol. How odd is that?

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: what is the legal drinking age in fiji

have returned from fiji (plantation island and naviti resort)only a week ago and i believe i read in a hotel info guide that the legal drinking age is 21

i think it was changed sometime in 2006

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what is the legal drinking age in fiji

The above post seems to be right, I found this on the Talpacific website:

"Legal Drinking Age

The Fiji Government has introduced a bill prohibiting the supply of alcoholic beverages to persons under 21 years of age. Documentation of identification includes driver's license, passport or identification issued by an education institution which contains a photograph and date of birth."

Fiji Islands
Level Contributor
693 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what is the legal drinking age in fiji

As far as I know, it's still 18, but I'll check with the Fiji government. I know that they were introducing a bill to change the drinking age, but I remember they had a lot of flack from the resort owners, and I didn't think that bill was passed. But I'll check - I live here and I've asked other friends and neighbors, and everybody seems to say it's still 18. But we're all well over 21, so maybe we're not entirely up to speed. However, my son has never been carded, and he certainly doesn't look even close to 21. More later ...

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: what is the legal drinking age in fiji

the hotel guide book i was reading was at the naviti resort, my husband and i commented that it would be shock to some aussie young adults as our drinking age is 18 but being double that age we had no trouble buying drinks but it would have been a boost to the ego to have been asked for id

when i read your question i remembered my conversation with my husband then i googled legal drinking age fiji and most said it had changed in 2006 your best bet maybe to contact your travel agent and they can find out for you or contact the fiji government but there seems to be no mention of it on their website when i checked

sorry to add more confusion to your question but i did read that it was 21 and maybe the resort had the wrong information

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: what is the legal drinking age in fiji

Thank you all for your advice, it can all be a bit confusing, so I will buy her a cocktail and if she isn't challenged then she may be able to have another, this I am sure she will discuss with me another ... another... maybe

Fiji Islands
Level Contributor
693 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what is the legal drinking age in fiji

That's probably the best idea! I wasn't able to get anyone in the government office yet, but my almost 17 year old son just came back from Suva where he spent the weekend with friends. He said that they are starting to get stricter, and that they have signs posted on the doors of the clubs that say "you may enter and drink at 18, but be with someone 21 years or older." So - I still don't know what the legal drinking age is! Sounds like the bill passed, but with provisions. Everyone I speak with (everyone) says that the hotel industry put a lot of pressure on the government because of the bill, so maybe that's was the means to satisfy both parties - you can drink at 18, but not without someone older taking responsibility for you.

Again, it's going to be stricter at clubs than at resorts and restaurants, so I'm sure you'll have no problems.

ENJOY YOUR TRIP TO FIJI!