We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips to other islands from Plantation

Port Macquarie
Level Contributor
261 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips to other islands from Plantation

Hi,

I am thinking of taking the family on a day trip (or 2) to some other islands while we are holidaying on Plantation Island so we can see what the other islands look like.

Can anyone tell me if you can organise these trips from Plantation Island & get picked up from the Island, or do you have to go back to the mainland to go on these trips?

Also do they operate game fishing trips from Platation Island?

Cheers

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,307 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips to other islands from Plantation

I have not been for three years but I was a ultra regular at Plantation from 94-05. They did have a 3 island hop trip and once had a 4, maybe they still do. As for fishing, they do have trip and are usually early AM.

Victoria
Level Contributor
302 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips to other islands from Plantation

Plantation still do 3, 5 and 5 island hopping trips to Malolo, Bounty, Mana, Castaway etc. It's subject to interest, with a minimum of 6 passengers and a maximum of 12 (I think it was 12). We had planned to do the 5 island hop, alas there was no other interest so we missed out and thus I can't comment on the quality of these trips. The 5 island hop was $71PP.

There are also charters done from the island - I can clarify further when I get home and find my Plantation guide I got when I was there last week.

The resort does handline fishing close to the island ($6) as well as game fishing - again I can clarify later today.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,089 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips to other islands from Plantation

Hi

Th island hopping trip is Ok as you get to see a few other of the islands and the reosrts. The Seaspray Day Trip (On a big old sailing ship) to Modriki island where the movie Castaway with Tom Hanks was filmed is a fun day. It leaves from Mana every morning and you pas quite a few of the other island on the way. You also get to visit a local village and school. The snorkelling at Modriki is good and the bay sheltered. Its not a big island and doesn't take long to explore the accessible areas. LLunch and afternoon tea are inclusive in the cost as is beer, wine and soft drink. The boat boys get out their guitars and the day usually ends sailing home with a rowdy singalong. Lots of fun.

Victoria
Level Contributor
302 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips to other islands from Plantation

OK, in the book you get at Plantation it lists the 3, 4 and 5 island hops ($71 for the 5 island hop) and also a number of more expensive charters to Malolo, Castaway, Navini, mana, Matamanoa, Beachcomber, Treasure, Tokoriki, Amanuca resort and a full day charter to any or all of the above (around $600).

I know they do game fishing as I saw the gear and spoke to some guys who did it - but prices aren't listed in the booklet I have.

Also, Musket Cove resort which is 5 minutes walk away from Plantation has it's own array of activities along these lines too.

So you won't need to go back to the mainland for anything really.

Port Macquarie
Level Contributor
261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips to other islands from Plantation

Thanks all,

The Seaspray sounds like great fun but is it suitable for kids 9 & 12?

If we do take the kids will it stiffel the other passengers from letting their hair down?

We don't want to spoil other peoples fun & ours if other people get up tight because our kids are there.

Goldenpath, do you know if the trips from the other resorts can be billed back to your room or do you have to pay direct to them?

Cheers

Victoria
Level Contributor
302 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips to other islands from Plantation

Sorry, I don't know about that one.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,089 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips to other islands from Plantation

Kids are fine on the seaspray. You will need to get transport to Mana Island but Plantation can arrange this.

8. Re: Day trips to other islands from Plantation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 12:24