We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dengue Fever

Auckland
Level Contributor
49 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Dengue Fever

Hi there!

My boyfriend and I are going to Fiji in 2 weeks' time for the first time ever, and after many hours reading the forums here, have chosen to stay at Malolo Island Resort!! We're so excited, but I've just read in the paper that there have been a lot of dengue fever cases over recent weeks, and now I'm freaking out!!

Does anyone know if there are lots of mosquitos and sandflies around the resort, and if the resort has any kind of repellents or sprays to keep them at bay? Obviously we will buy repellent before we leave, but I can't help feeling worried!

Thanks!!

Cheers

Fi

Port Macquarie
Level Contributor
261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dengue Fever

Hi Fi,

I also heard on the radio today that dengue is causing a problem in Fiji but I did not hear which part of Fiji. From what I gathered it is on the main island more than the outer islands

Sand fly's don't carry dengue fever, it is the mozzies that bite you during the day that will infect you. Make sure you take plenty of TROPICAL STRENGTH insect spray & keep it applied,

It is a worry, but remember that just because you get bitten by a mozzie you will not definately catch dengue fever.

Put on the spray & enjoy your stay.

Cheers

PS We are going to Plantation at the end of this week so I hope it's not on the islands

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,359 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dengue Fever

Bula AucklandFi,

There are several news-links to Dengue fever affecting Fiji on the Yahoo homepage & others - approx 2000 cases in Fiji recently - in main-land areas where sanitation and environments are compromised - & not the resort islands - but always use precautions as safeguard.

Beware that commercial mosquito repellants contain DEET - this is a pesticide (poison) - so if you must use a pesticide on your actual skin use a low-strength preparation (20% OK) and use sparingly. Advice is to apply to clothing - especially if using for extended duration - as visitors tend to do.

Many alternatives - oil of eucalyptus, coconut oil, tea-tree oil (is good), lemon balm, basil leaves inside clothing, citronella candles - and the US market has developed Picaridin (Icaridin) due to health issues surrounding DEET. Also it is said the chemical reaction between DEET products and sun-screen lotion can be harmful. Spray objects and under furniture - soak tissues in DEET products and place on floor next to feet.

Many people ingest Vitamin B tablets to build up immunity - whilst there is still little research in favour of this - I have read where it relates to body immunity and reduction of sweat which attracts mosquitoes to perspiration/body odours etc.

Wearing light coloured clothing helps resist mossies - they like to hide on dark colours. And shower frequently. Dengue-carrying mossies (Aedes aegypti in the main) usually feed at dawn and dusk - they don't favour wind, fans, breezes, air con - so take advantage of these where ever possible. And enquire from resort management what steps they have taken to prevent/deter mossie breeding sites. The more informed you are reduces risk for you both and will ensure a more care-free & beautiful holiday.

Enjoy your stay at the Malolo Island Resort.

Ni sa bula vinaka.

Auckland
Level Contributor
49 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dengue Fever

Thanks to you both for your help & advice! I will definitely take care with the repellent, and using it in conjunction with something such as tea tree oil is a great idea. I'll try not to be too paranoid, although obviously we need to take precautions! It's so disappointing, because up until now, I was really excited about going, and didn't for a second think about dengue fever or anything scary (except sea snakes!!!).

Cheers

Fi

4. Re: Dengue Fever

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 15:18