We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fiji - ?Where to Stay

Australia
Level Contributor
406 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Fiji - ?Where to Stay

Hi

My husband and I are planning a trip to Fiji, possibly June/July, '09.

We tend to like somewhere quiet, not too large a resort, good pool, great beaches. Excellent snorkelling is also a pre-requisite. Beachfront accommodation would be great.

I have not done a lot of research, but don't think the mainland is for us.

Having said that, is there anywhere (islands - ?Yasawas/Manamucas), that will fit what we are after and won't cost an arm and a leg?

It would also be great if we could find somewhere with meal package included, as long as the standard of food didn't drop dramatically.

We are 50, so don't want a party island. From what I have seen so far, the lower priced islands cater for backpackers.

Is there somewhere nice in between the 'top and bottom end' that may suit us?

We probably are after 3-4 star accommodation.

The other thing I wonder about is if we stay only at an island, are we ruling out seeing the cultural side of Fiji, or doing any day trips?

We intend to go away for 12-14 nights. Would we be best to have a few nights on mainland, then move to whichever island?

Are we likely to get a better rate for a long stay such as this?

Hoping someone can advise me.

Regards

Babz

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,432 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fiji - ?Where to Stay

Matang Private Island Resort has everything you are looking for, except that it is on the expensive side: only 14 bures on the island, infinity pool, nice beach. You can snorkel right off the beach in front of your bure which is fantastic. Food is included in the price as is daily laundry service. Each couple also gets a private luncheon at Horseshoe Bay.

Tours at a fee Bouma Water Falls, pearl farm, and I believe a couple more. They also offer a tour to a village school which is a must. If you chose, you can also go to church on Sundays at a village. There are also two scheduled snorkeling tours to various sights around the island.

I would spend very little time on the mainland. We spent three days at Denaru and it was about two days too many. The only good thing was, I got to do some shopping for souveniers.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,822 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fiji - ?Where to Stay

Matamanoa ticks all your boxes. Cheack out ltheir website and read the reviews in Trip Advisor for this island. We found it cheaper to eat a la carte

than the meal package. Breakfast is included in the room rate. Nanuya Island resort in lthe Yasawas is a great rsort too but they don't have a pool. Malolo Island resort is another in the Mamanucas like Matamanoa.

Australia
Level Contributor
406 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fiji - ?Where to Stay

Hi E&CinReno

Thanks for the advice.

Have looked for rates for Matangi and came up with $792 per night!

This is way beyond us.

Any suggestions for something cheaper that may suit our needs?

Thanks - Babz

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fiji - ?Where to Stay

You should give Mana Island a go. On our last trip to Mana my Mum and Dad, who are in their mid-50's, came with us. They said they had the best holiday of their lives. It is not a very large resort but is spread out over the island. When we where there they had 98% occupancy and it was not crowded at all.

The snorkelling on both the north and south beach is excellent. If one beach is windy the other one is always calm.

As for food, there have been a lot of reviews that say the food is bad. It's not. You can have either al a carte, the buffet or a 5-7 course meal in the South Beach Restaurant.

Should check out their website

http://www.manafiji.com/

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,432 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fiji - ?Where to Stay

You might check out Navini. Very small resort. We almost booked a week there.

Australia
Level Contributor
406 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fiji - ?Where to Stay

Thanks All

The advice is always helpful.

I am beginning to wonder if we should spend some time on the Coral Coast before going on to stay on an island.

We are intending going away for two weeks. Maybe this is too long to stay on an island anyway. Splitting the stay would also help the budget.

If Fiji proves too expensive, I guess we could look at other options, like Samoa.

Thanks for asistance.

Babz

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fiji - ?Where to Stay

Have you looked at Nanuya Island Resort? (www.nanuyafiji.com) It doesn't have a pool, but it seems to fulfil all your other requirements. It's great value for money and the food is to die for. Although there's no meal package, the food prices are below Aussie prices. With such fantastic warm water and coral right off the beach, I can't really see the need for a pool in a resort such as this. There are only 12 bures, no young children - a great place for a quiet, relaxing holiday.

Auckland
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fiji - ?Where to Stay

Yes I agree,Nanuya Is Resort,Octopus Resort and Beachside Resort in Nadi so you can hire a car and explore the mainland too.

Have a wonderful time.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fiji - ?Where to Stay

Hi Babz

I would recommend Octopus Resort (www.octopusresort.com) it has everything you are looking for...beach front accomodation, pool, fantastic beach (own section you have beach front accom)snorkeling, diving (lessons given) movie nights, themed night, welcome party, fantastic staff who really take an interest and care,the food is amazing (and included in a package)...it is served as breakfast, lunch then dinner in the evening on the beach front dining area..you share tables of 8 to 12 with other guests and its a great way to meet other people...people arrive and leave daily so there are always new and interesting people to chat with.

They also give treks in to the local village daily, sunday church service on another island and if you do decide to leave they have their own boat to transfer you or 2 other boats pass daily.

I have many fantastic memories from my 5 days here..it did take me a day or 2 to settle in to 'Fiji time' but once you get over not having internet or telephone connection you dont want to leave!

Have a fab time

Donny

Australia
Level Contributor
406 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fiji - ?Where to Stay

Thanks Everyone

It's great to get feedback from people who have been where we are hoping to go.

You have all given me some extra options to consider, so should find something from these.

Someone said stay anywhere but the mainland. Does this mean the Coral Coast or right in Nadi?

Thanks again - Babz