We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone stayed at Tambua Sands Resort?

Port Macquarie
Level Contributor
261 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone stayed at Tambua Sands Resort?

Getting married at the Outrigger in July 2009; we are looking at staying at the Tambua Sands Resort as it is "right next door" to the Outrigger & is much smaller & more my style(not a 5 star person).

Has anyone stayed there recentley?

Is the food at the resturant OK.

So long as the rooms are clean & comfortable pool is good & there is ocean we will be happy.

Hope someone can tell us if this resort is OK as if we book there all our guest will probabley stay there also.

Thanks

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,905 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone stayed at Tambua Sands Resort?

Hi

Haven't stayed there recently but quiet it was when we were there. The beach was goo tough the lagoon was only swimable at hight tide like most of the resorts on the coral coast. Have a look at the website for the Wellesley Boutique Hotel have heard some good things about this place although a tad further away than Tambua Sands otrherwise head out to an isalnd resort for the real Fiji feel and great beaches.

Port Macquarie
Level Contributor
261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone stayed at Tambua Sands Resort?

Hi HOOKED,

Thanks for the reply, we are starting to wonder how close to the outrigger it actually is as the travel maps from agents show it at different locations. Would the Hideaway resort be closer to the Outrigger?

Would you have any idea how far from each other & Sigatoka these resorts are.

We are not overly concerned about the price of the outrigger but we are concerned that us & our guests will be swamped because of the size of the outrigger during school holidays & are thinking of a smaller resort to stay in & still have the wedding at the outrigger.

Thanks

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,905 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone stayed at Tambua Sands Resort?

Tambua Sands is still a fair way from the Outrigger.

Not a walkable distance I wouldn't think. Maybe it would be better for all to stay at the Outrigger. There are a fewe backpacker type of resorts scattered along the coast but I don't think that they would be appropriate. Tambua Sands and Hidedeaway are quite close to each other and also Don's House (a p rivate home which can accomodate a number of people. Unfoortunately I think all of these will involve transport to get to and from the Outrigger.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone stayed at Tambua Sands Resort?

Hi Firsttime47,

Have a look at Crows Nest which is just along the waters edge/beach to the Outrigger or Bedarra Inn is along that stretch as well. I think from memory the stretch is called Sunset Strip. It would be maybe 15-20 minutes away from Sigatoka (maybe not even that)

We have stayed at Crows Nest which was clean and tidy and have a small amount of kitchen facilities in the bures/rooms. When we were there we stayed with another family and there were 5 of them and they were able to have the one room. We did walk along the strip and there was a restaurant called Casablancas and we spoke to people from the Outrigger who ate there as well as they said the meals were a bit expensive at the resort. But have a look at those two websites. There is also a little place on the other side of the Outrigger, I think it is called Sandy Cottages or something like that. You could google that one as well. Hope that helps a bit

Cheers

Sue

Fiji Islands
Level Contributor
693 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone stayed at Tambua Sands Resort?

BULA From Fiji -

Tambua Sands, in my opinion, is a bit dark and dreary. The pool isn't very nice, the beach is OK but as one poster said, you really can't swim. The food when I ate there was marginal, but they may have a better chef. Not a terrifically warm and friendly resort. And tambua sands is certainly not within walking distance - about a 15 minute drive away. I've heard the resort is for sale, so maybe with new owners/managers the place will be a better bet - but there is no way to tell.

Wellesley I wouldn't recommend either, as it is way too far away, and is nothing but a motel block, nothing exceptional. This is close to an hour's drive away ...

Crow's Nest is nearby, but if you are looking for a swimming beach, this isn't the place for you either. But the rooms are comfortable, you can also have the option to cook your meals, as many of the cottages have small kitchenettes. It is located across the street from the beach, but not a swimming beach.

Hideaway is good - great pool, nice beach, but it is not small and intimate, as you have 100 rooms/bures. Are you looking for something small and intimate? There's not much in the way of small and intimate along the Coral Coast near to The Outriger that I'd suggest - most of those are closer to the Pacific Harbour region ... and that would be too far to travel back and forth to the Outrigger ...

Hope this doesn't confuse you further! The Outrigger is quite nice, and it's certainly not 5 star snobby - staff is warm and friendly and like all of Fiji, it's a real barefoot elegance, so i don't think you'd feel it was stuffy and stiff.

Port Macquarie
Level Contributor
261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone stayed at Tambua Sands Resort?

Thanks fiji-suz,

We had got the impression that Tabua was not a popular choice & we had changed to looking at Hideaway even though it is a larger resort. The outrigger does look great & it is where we are having the wedding, but we were looking at the accommadation side where you could get a bure elsewhere for the same price as a hotel room at the outrigger, which I consider to be a better alternative. We are also consisdering the number of guests at the resort as we don't want to feel swamped, which I think we will at the Outrigger, also our guests are staying on & touring around from the resort. The 15 min drive between the resorts is not an issue as where we live is 15 min from our main town so we're used to it.

We know some people that are staying at Hideaway at the moment so we should get a good idea what it's like when they return.

What is your opinion on Hideaway?

Is the beach OK? We understand it will not be as nice as the islands.

Off the track did you see my post for caves/waterfall tour for the elderly as no one has replied & it would be nice to have some answers.

Cheers

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone stayed at Tambua Sands Resort?

hey i have stayed at hideaway numerous times.

i think that it will be a good resort for what you are looking for. it is a little bit bigger than some along the coral coast, but tiny in comparison to the naviti and a few others.

the food is wonderful. the staff are so friendly and cater to your every need, they make you feel like part of the family.

as far as the beach is concerned it isnt spectacular, but no beach is really along the coral coast - it has that name for a reason.

whenever ive stayed at hideaway there's always been people of all different ages, and they cater well to this.

if you have any more questions feel free to ask! i confidently speak very highly of hideaway!

Port Macquarie
Level Contributor
261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone stayed at Tambua Sands Resort?

Hi 13xi3,

Thanks for the reply about Hideaway.

Have you stayed there recently?

From what we have heard from you & suzi it sounds like we are on the right track looking at Hideaway for our accommadation.

It is a big decision for us as our guests for the wedding want to stay at the same resort as we are & after the wedding travel from the resort to do any tours etc, & probably have some time out just lazing around the resort. The last thing we want is for them to not enjoy the resort that we have chosen to stay at while we are spending our honeymoon at Naigani Island Resort & having the time of our life. (hopefully).

You wouldn't have been there by any chance?

Cheers

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone stayed at Tambua Sands Resort?

sorry i havent been to the resort where you are spending your honey moon, but i am sure it will be lovely as all the smaller islands are :)

the last time i was at hideaway was february this year, and it looked lovely as they'd completed the new day spa area, and given the bar and dining area a bit of a makeover.

i will be going back on december 27, so i will take some photos around the resort for you, if you like?

there is a tour desk at hideaway where your friends and family will be able to book any extra tours they would like to do, and the girls there are always a great help!

Fiji Islands
Level Contributor
693 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone stayed at Tambua Sands Resort?

Good morning and BULA -

As far as the cave and waterfall tour for the elderly, it would really depend on their physical abilities. The cave tour requires one to crawl on their hands and knees for a bit to get into the cave. And the hike to the cave is fine, but you'll be trekking through streams and rocky paths, so if someone is not sure of foot, it probably wouldn't be recommended. Same with the waterfall tour. If the guests have trouble walking on rough paths, I'd pass on it.

Hope that helps!