We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flooding

Sydney
12 posts
Save Topic
Flooding

Hi!

Just heard that there is severe flooding through out certain areas of Fiji. We will be there next week. Does anyone have any information on the current situation? I'm having trouble finding information on the internet.

Thanks, Ash

Brisbane
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flooding

Where did you hear about this??

We will be travelling over in the first week of February...any further info would also be appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flooding

There is a tropical storm hitting the west of Fiji, with severe flooding in Nadi.

Sydney
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flooding

I caught the last of the news report on the local Sydney news and read a few articles on the Fiji Times website. I can't find any info in regards to flights, transport etc apart from a short article about access to Denarau Resort being cut off. http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/536641/2437757 Hopefully we'll get some sunshine!

Ash

4. Re: Flooding

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2013, 18:41
Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,399 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flooding

We are planning to return to Fiji in April. Yesterday we called the resort to check on availabilty. We knew the weather was bad, as we had read the Fiji Times online which mentioned domestic flights to the islands had been cancelled. (do not know if that is still true) There were several guests unable to leave the island and others who were stuck in Nadi. The resort was checking daily to see if and when they could get the guests out and into the resort. Also check out the website mentioned in the other post. I would check with the resort you are visiting - am sure they would be able to give you some current information. Hope this helps and good luck.

sydney
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Flooding

A state of emergency has been declared in the western division of Viti Levu and there is severe flooding in Nadi. Many tourists are stranded at their resorts due to the roads to Nadi airport being inaccessible and there are problems with food and water supplies at some resorts. I would definitely postpone the trip if I were you, especially since there is a cyclone alert for later this week. I was supposed to fly there yesterday but sadly I had to cancel the trip. Also there are curfews in Nadi and Sigatoka due to looting. Hope this information helps you!

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,790 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flooding

It certainly doesn't look good and yes, further heavy rain is forecast later this week. Reporters in the Nadi area say it's the worst in living memory.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4815874a12.html

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flooding

hi,just heard about the floods in fiji my mother in law and and another couple flew there monday.they are staying at the warwick resort any info about this resort would be of help.suzi

Victoria
Level Contributor
302 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flooding

The Warwick is not all that far from Sigatoka and apparently Sigatoka has been flooded. :(

Sydney
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flooding

How long do you think this will return to normal? Do you think 3 weeks later will be fine? I will be there on 11 Feb. Should I cancel or wait and see?