We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Documentation for wedding Fiji help

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
891 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Documentation for wedding Fiji help

Am getting more confused. Daughter getting married at Shangri La. Have to have the wedding agreement signed and faxed off very shortly.

So have to fax off 1. Wedding Agreement

2. Copies of their Birth Certificates

and here is the confusing part

• Confirmatory letter on current marital status to be obtain from marriage

registry where the applicant resides or statutory declaration signed by a Justice of Peace or Notary Public or Solicitor to prove that he/she has not entered into a marriage before (this declaration applies to first or second marriage, if divorce granted in the last 5 years).

So the above means that a form/letter has to be signed by a JP that states that they have never been married before. Do I type this out myself or is there some sort of form that I obtain. If so where do I get this from.

If you have been married at the Shangri La before what paperwork did you have to send along with the Signed agreement.

Very confusing please assist if you can.

They are being helpful but a bit obscure with their answers.

Regards Cheryl

Port Macquarie
Level Contributor
261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Documentation for wedding Fiji help

Hi Cheryl,

I am getting married at the outrigger in July 2009.

I have recently had to send these forms as well.I ordered Single Status certificates from BD&M, but they took about 6 weeks to return @ $78.00 ea.If you go to the post office or newsagent & buy a Stat Dec form (about $10.00), then fill in the appropriate particulars, maybe with the help of a JP, then sign the form as this is then a Legal document.

We also sent copies of our

passports

birth certificates

single status certificates

notice of intent

wedding checklist

all this was requested by our wedding co-ordinator.

Hope this helps,

Regards, Sharon

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
891 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Documentation for wedding Fiji help

Notice of intent (sorry what do you mean by this)

Thank you so much for your reply all seems so reasonable now.

Port Macquarie
Level Contributor
261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Documentation for wedding Fiji help

Hi Cheryl,

The notice of intent form was sent to us (emailed) by the resort.

It requires you to fill in the personal details of the bride & groom as well as parents names & witness names.

They can then lodge this at the registry office before we arrive. Its probably to save them the time & to have as much paper work filled out when you get over there, which we have been told is at least minimum of 3 days before the wedding.

The Shangri La may do this when you arrive. Send them an email & ask.

Good luck

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
891 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Documentation for wedding Fiji help

Thank you for your help. I now have my head around it all. Hope all goes well for you, for your forthcoming Wedding.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
29 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Documentation for wedding Fiji help

I thought that is you are an Australian Citizen you do not need to have a single status document. I too am getting married in Jul and have emailed all my documents but was not aked to provide single status document. I have read that single status document is applicable to japanese citzens.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Documentation for wedding Fiji help

That's right spicey, when we married in Fiji Oct 06 Australians were exempt from this, but obvisiouly things have changed because all we had to do was turn up....

Rene

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
891 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Documentation for wedding Fiji help

OK so as it turned out this is what I had to Fax off the other night.

1. Copy of Birth Certificates

(original or certified copies to be sighted upon

arrival.

2. Copy of Passports

3. Signed copy of Shangri-La Wedding Agreement

4. A Statutory Declaration witnessed by a JP stating that their marital status is single.

This is all at this stage.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
891 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Documentation for wedding Fiji help

That was a Stat Dec. each. $2.00 from our P.O.

They went to a JP in the local courthouse but they also have them (JP's) at certain times and days at Shopping Centres.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
29 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Documentation for wedding Fiji help

Hi, Today I received a copy of the Wedding Licence that we need to sign and return. (We previously sent copies of birth cert & passports). Our wedding is un Jul 09. Treasure Island definately confirmed we do not require a single status document.

I must say I share your frustration, it is very difficult to get a straight answer and emails often take a long time to receive a reply.

I think it is just to prepare you for FIJI TIME ....

There should be a wedding checklist that these resorts provide to assist with planning.

Good luck

Port Macquarie
Level Contributor
261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Documentation for wedding Fiji help

The Outrigger supplied the checklist for us so we can choose which inclussions we want & what we don't want. Maybe Treasure doesn't give you any additional options for your wedding. What they supply is what you get.

The Outrigger didn't ask for the single status certificates, We got this info from the Fiji tourism website regarding weddings in Fiji, & got the certificates just in case. We don't need to have any hitches once we are over there.

We also rang the BD&M in NSW & they advised that they recognised a Fijian wedding certificate, but if the wife wants to change her last name to her husbands name you will need to apply for a change of name certificate & this will require a single status certificate to be produced as part of your excuse for changing your name.

Get answers to your questions about Fiji