We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should we exchange money?

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Where should we exchange money?

We are off to Fiji on the 9th June for 10days and want to know if it is better to get our money changed now in Australia as the rate is very good or wait till we get to Fiji and do it there? Where is the best place to do this? Any help would be fantastic!

Jo and Co

Maryborough...
Level Contributor
198 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should we exchange money?

Hi Jo & co,

try your local post office and take advantage of the exchange rate at the moment, i found the PO to give the best rate and it only takes a couple of days.

Hervey Bay...
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should we exchange money?

I second that!! :) Post Office had the best rates and the least fees when I changed mine over about a month ago...

Port Macquarie
Level Contributor
261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should we exchange money?

We exchange at the post office, its the easiest & no charges.

If you have F$ left on return, exchange it at the airport, our post master advised us that they don't exchange back & also said the airport money exchange will give you a better return rate as they want the money so they don't have to order in that currency

Have a great holiday

Fiji
Level Contributor
5 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should we exchange money?

Not sure about the rates, but there is an ANZ in the Nadi Airport that provides money exchange.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
548 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should we exchange money?

Just about everyone takes credit card and you can access your money from all the ATMs so you don't have to carry too much cash around - not sure on the rates you get doing this though.

Port Macquarie
Level Contributor
261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where should we exchange money?

Be careful about relying the ATM.

When we were over there in NOV 08 the ATM was down at the Nadi Airport & the ANZ bank would not allow us to use our card in the branch even though it has cirrus (it had been down for several days) & we couldn't access any money, luckily we had aus $ with us & could exchange this at the exchange counter.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where should we exchange money?

Go online and check the various bank rates, if you order online with most of them no fees at all more money in your pocket. I found Westpac had the best rate of the banks.

Bathurst, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Viti Levu, Treasure Island, Sonaisali Island, Nadi
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where should we exchange money?

Travelex is another good one you can buy online and choose from a list of places close to you that you could pick up from you can pay online wither by credit card or Bpay and you pay no fees either. Just a thought!

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where should we exchange money?

Thanks everyone for your advice!!! Your comments were fantastic

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where should we exchange money?

Bula Jo & Co

Thanx for asking that question as we are having the same dilemma, re exchange rates. So to the Post Office we shall go. Have a great trip