We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to for us in March? Sonaisali? short cruise?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Where to for us in March? Sonaisali? short cruise?

Hi there

We really liked the look of Likuliku until we saw the price, which is far more than we want to spend or ever would spend. Also I get the impression that it will be full of honeymooners and that may not be good for us ( or moresos for them!)

We have a big wedding anniversary to celebrate in March 2010 and I see some good specials at Sonaisali island, yes I have read the reviews... We often book specials so if any one has any tips for an affordable holiday, I greatly appreciate it.

We are 50's, young at heart, enjoy the outdoors including snorkelling, fishing, hiking etc.

cheers

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
541 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to for us in March? Sonaisali? short cruise?

Hi, have a look at Nanuya Island Resort it just might suit you. we love it.

Bathurst, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Viti Levu, Treasure Island, Sonaisali Island, Nadi
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to for us in March? Sonaisali? short cruise?

Yes you are correct Sonaisali does have some great specials and yes i have seen the reviews but i have been 3 times and am going again in bout 3.5months i have never had any problems with the resort on any occasion i think it is lovely and have had a brilliant time each trip. I just love the spa bures worth a look! The actual beach is nice but has the darker volcanic sand but the resort has like an upper beach area that has been designed with white sand so plenty of areas to sun bake. If you would like any other information about the resort please ask me more than happy to share my positive comments with you! All the best.

Fiji
Level Contributor
469 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to for us in March? Sonaisali? short cruise?

You might enjoy Musket Cove resort. It is on a large island and is great for hiking, fishing, snorkelling. There are 4 restaurants on the island and The beachfront bures have been recently refurbished. They cater for families and couples but don't tend to get over run by kids. The madara spa there is heaven!! It is easy to get to from Nadi - 10 mins by Pacific Sun plane or 50 mins by malolo cat boat.

Sonaisali is Ok, but you just can't compare it to the islands!!!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to for us in March? Sonaisali? short cruise?

Hello guys and thanks for the info, some great info here that I am sifting through.

May I also ask your thoughts about the following?

1 night at the Westin Resort in a tropical Garden Room

2 night Blue Lagoon cruise

7 nights at the Westin Resort in a tropical garden room

The price is very good and I will certainly upgrade to ocean room, includes airfares,transfers and breakfast at the hotel and available in March when we want to go.

My thoughts are we would use the resort as a base and travel on day trips to various islands, fishing trips etc... The added cruise will give us more opportunity to explore to enjoy the ocean, the islands and snorkelling.

thanks again!

Sydney
Level Contributor
488 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to for us in March? Sonaisali? short cruise?

Hi Surfoz,

I'm not an expert here --- but by the time you add on all the costs of the tours to get to the Islands, does that make it more comparable to just stay on an Island??

A lot of the Islands have some great specials on at the moment and the exchange rate is still good.

I purchased my Fijian dollars yesterday -- well, most of them anyway - will wait and gamble with the X;Rate for the balance.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
549 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to for us in March? Sonaisali? short cruise?

I am biased because I believe that the staff culture on the smaller islands is what makes Fiji so special. Have a look at Navini. It is close to the mainland, allowing easy access to activities, gets good reviews.

Plus only the islands have the beautiful white sand beaches.

Day trips are expensive and you sometimes spend a lot of time on the boat getting to and from your destination.

I don't think you would regret a couple of days on and island.

Bathurst, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Viti Levu, Treasure Island, Sonaisali Island, Nadi
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to for us in March? Sonaisali? short cruise?

Natadola Beach on the mainland has the white sand beaches and beautiful blue water it is the best on the mainland and can be compared to an island simply beautiful!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to for us in March? Sonaisali? short cruise?

Appreciate the comments and thoughts guys, please keep them coming.

The thing is the Westin + cruise deal is a VERY good price compared to the islands, I am also not sure that we want to be stuck on one island for a week or more.

While lazing around may suit many, we are more into exporing and having a good look around...and perhaps being based at Denarau might be more suitable for us.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,591 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to for us in March? Sonaisali? short cruise?

Hi

If you want to explore then stay on the mainland but at least do a day trip to an island. I too agree Nanuya is great but it is small and a long way up the Yasawa Group so maybe an island closer to Nadi for a day or two would be better. The new Intercontinental on Natadola Beach has some great opening specials check out the website. Rivers Fiji and Adventures in Paradise Fiji have some great tours and the Zip line sounds great if you don't mind heights. The tour desk at the hotel will have all the information you need to deceide which tours you want to do too. Have fun planning.

sydney, australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to for us in March? Sonaisali? short cruise?

we stayed 5 nights at Sonaisali for our Honeymoon and won't be going back ! my hubby is Fijian and we weren't impressed with quite a few things there, so much so, I wrote a letter of complaint.

plenty of lovely resorts but I'd not stay here personally.