We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Political Unrest

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Political Unrest

Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone knows much about the political stability of Fiji nowadays... I am a U.S. citizen, and I recently booked an upcoming stay in Natadola. Although the pictures and reviews and wonderful, I cannot help but consider the travel warnings I have read on various government and travel websites regarding political unrest, restricted freedom of speech and other variables not generally encounted by U.S. citizens and those of other civilized nations. Can anyone shed light on this topic, and let me know if this is indeed a valid concern?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Fiji
Level Contributor
469 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Political Unrest

There's nothing to worry about. It's still 100% completely safe in Fiji. There are no political uprisings or anything that would make you feel uncomfortable or unsafe. There is censorship of the media, but you don't notice it (it just means the media can't say anything bad about the government or it gets pulled!!). Of course, when travelling to any country, you should show common sense about general personal safety and safeguarding personal belongings. But I have been more fearful of my personal safety travelling in the US than I ever have in Fiji! The people here are warm, genuine, and always happy to help.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,308 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Political Unrest

ClintonIndianapolis

We have traveled to Fiji several times, and have always felt safe. The Fijian people are the most friendly people we have met world wide.

When traveling to another Nation you should always respect the country you are visiting. We are spoiled here in the U.S., We let our feelings known. When in another country, We should keep our political veiws to ourself.

And Fiji is a very civilzed nation.

Enjoy your trip to Fiji, and drink Fiji Bitters or Fiji Premium.

E

3. Re: Political Unrest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2013, 17:51
Indianapolis
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Political Unrest

Thank you all for the great feedback. I have travelled abroad many times, and I generally feel relatively safe. However, the south pacific was a bit foreign to me. This is indeed my first trip to Fiji, and I wanted to make sure it was memorable for all of the right reasons :-) Thank you for easing my mind.... And I will definitely keep any political views to myself- especially since I know nothing of politics in Fiji, and I've never cared to get into U.S. politics either :-)

Port Macquarie
Level Contributor
261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Political Unrest

We just got back from Fiji.

All I can say is what political unrest !!!!!

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Political Unrest

That's great! Thank you very much for the response. I was beginning to worry about what I got myself into after reading some of the articles online. I didnt want to travel 20 hours only to get into a bad situation. Now I am so looking forward to some island relaxation :-)

7. Re: Political Unrest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2010, 07:19