We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suspension from the commonwealth

Australia
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
suspension from the commonwealth

Hi Everyone, I hesitated about posting this topic as I didnt want to be negative in any way towards travel to Fiji however I am a little concerned. We are travelling to Fiji in the coming months and im a little worried now that Fiji has been suspended from the commonwealth that foreigners may not be seen in the best light there. Ive researched this situation a little and it seems previously there has been no issues when this has occurred with tourists. What does everyone else think? Is anyone else concerned or am I overreacting as my husband states? Its our first trip to Fiji and im very excited about travelling there as it seems like such a beautiful country with lovely people.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,720 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suspension from the commonwealth

Don't worry about the situation. Fiji badly needs tourism and will do everything to ensure that is not affected. The only place I would avoid is Suva and, to be honest, who would want to go there anyway. Nevertheless, keep up with the latest news.

Where are you going?

Australia
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suspension from the commonwealth

We dont have any plans on going to Suva or even Nadi for that matter really. We are going to Treasure island. Thanks for you reassurance. Its hard when you hear so many conflicting stories.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suspension from the commonwealth

You don't need to worry at all, just stay away from Suva.....isn't anything there anyway. Tourism is a major part of the Fijian economy, so they wouldn't do anthing to stop the tourists coming. If you stick to the tourist areas you will be fine. Still is a lot safer than Thailand or Bali in my opinion.

Australia
Level Contributor
607 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suspension from the commonwealth

What a shame for Fiji, I have read that tourists are holding back because of the political matters there.

"The International Federation of Journalists has called for all travellers to rethink any travel plans to Fiji".....we were looking at revisiting next month, but with a small toddler and a small baby I cannot afford to take any unnecessary risks. (although I definelty think there is no risk, its not one I can take) Its the lovely Fijian people that will suffer and I think thats not fair.

Hopefully, one day all will be restored.

Have a lovely relaxing holiday!

nz
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,720 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: suspension from the commonwealth

I would think that the International Federation of Journalists is urging tourists to stay away for another reason. There is censorship of newspapers now in Fiji with a government appointee in every newsroom to approve articles.

It is not, I submit, because of danger per se to tourists.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suspension from the commonwealth

Won't stop me going next March with my 3 year old son. Still think that it is safe. You can't believe everything you read in a newspaper.

Australia
Level Contributor
607 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: suspension from the commonwealth

Oh thankyou for that advice, it makes me happier now!

Interestingly, I have just read on the SMH traveller website that Jetstar and V Atlantic are about to commence daily services next year to Fiji from Australia!

On the downside, apparently Air Pacific which is 51% owned by the Fijian government is strugling to survive.

I will certainly be doing my best to support Fiji in the future!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: suspension from the commonwealth

Thats sounds great..not so for Air Pacific if that is the cast...but more airlines that fly to Fiji means better deals for us tourists!!

We mostly flight Pacific Blue as they are much cheaper, but this time got a great deal with Air Pacific so maybe more to come.

Bathurst, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Viti Levu, Treasure Island, Sonaisali Island, Nadi
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: suspension from the commonwealth

Im also off for another trip in a few weeks and not worried at all my stay includes the mainland for a few weeks and also a trip to Treasure same as you. I have been many a time and tourists really do not notice anything on the islands it business as always. Try to relax and stay positive you are going to have a lovely holiday in a great place in the world!

nz
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,720 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: suspension from the commonwealth

This is a link to a very interesting article on the situation in Fiji, its affect on tourism both in Fiji and other pacific island nations.

tvnz.co.nz/business-news/fiji-tourism-suffer…

If you can't be bothered reading the whole article, the following 3 sentences which end the article are worth thinking about.

"Life is too complex for travellers to be basing their travelling decisions on who is running the country," he says.

Think of George Bush for instance, and John Howard, too.

"I didn't like Howard's political stance but I still went to Australia. "That's just life."