We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Fiji

Melbourne
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Driving in Fiji

Gday everyone,

Ive just been looking into hiring a car for a day to drive down to Sigatoka Rivermouth to go surfing. Would it be easier to organise through the resort? or organise it myself.

Would it work out cheaper driving myself? Also would it be safe leaving a car in SIgatoka whilst surfing for a few hours? Obviously i can drive for most of the day also so i can check other places out.

What is the road from Denarau to Sigatoka like?

Cheers guys.

Buz_JEd

Bathurst, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Viti Levu, Treasure Island, Sonaisali Island, Nadi
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Fiji

I have been hiring a car for the past few trips i have done on the mainland driving up and down the coral coast for day trips staying at Sonaisali Island Resort i have found AVIS to be very good and have hired for a minimum of 3 to 6 days each time as they have had a great internet special for 3 days so i book direct myself and it has worked out fine. Will be using their services again in 5 weeks when i return again. The road and drive will be lovely for you from Denarau to Sigatoka their are some crazy drivers and loads of pot holes to avoid but apart from that you will be fine. Some good shops to have a look at in Sigatoka and some paid car parking as well so look out for that. Your car will be fine to leave just make sure you take out insurance with whatever company you use just in case. You could organise the car yourself or your resort would also be able to do this so you can take your pick! What resort are you staying at? I hope this helps! If ladies can do the driving and hire the cars with no help from blokes im sure you will be fine and have a great trip!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Fiji

Yeh that sounds like a great plan!! it would be good to explore also as we are staying at musket cove for 7 nights after as we have a wedding. I would like to go for a surf before i head over and then once over their on a boat trip. Should be great!

Thanks heaps for the advice should be a breeze to get down there after all that!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Fiji

forgot to ask how long is the drive from denarau to sigatoka? im staying at the fiji beach resort by hilton. They should be able to organise a car for me....well would have to be suv or wagon with the board!

Colorado
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Fiji

The drive from Nadi to Sigatoka will be about an hour to an hour and a half or so depending on road conditions. A couple of months ago the road wasn't in great condition, especially down towards the Nadi side. I'd suggest checking out Sharma's or Khan's rental cars (both have an office in the Nadi airport) as they tend to be less expensive than the big agencies. I'd also suggest stopping in at Fiji Surf Shop in Nadi for advice on where to go, etc. Ian Mueller and staff are very knowledgeable and helpful.

5. Re: Driving in Fiji

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2010, 06:21