We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Intercontinental...

aus
9 posts
Save Topic
Intercontinental...

I am heading to Intercontinental, Fiji in less than 2 weeks and getting a bit concerned now. Initial reviews of Inetrcontinental were prity bad but the management seemed to be responding prity well to those feedbacks & it looked like they are getting their act together.

Reviews are still not bad, however a few of the recent guests of the hotel have left the bad reviews again & looks like their service is again going down. Has anyone recently visited the hotel & can share their experiences with us. Are these just the fussy travellers or what? I am going just to relax in a nice hotel..I am expecting too much?

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Intercontinental...

I am going to Fiji in April, so I did some checking on different websites & found out:

Rooms - good, but not great

Food: overpriced, small portions

As it is a relatively new hotel, the staff has not been properly trained....

But maybe by now, they have sorted it out...I decided to stay somewhere else...

The best feature: The beach!

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
548 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Intercontinental...

I have recently stayed at the IC, it is a beautiful resort, the rooms are beautiful - the bath on the balcony was great ( a little dauting at first as it was windy and I wasn't sure that the curtains would hold up to the wind, but they did and I thoughly enjoyed the experience - a bubble bath by candlelight with a glass of bubbly...!!)

I think the management have been very good at taking action on the issues which have been raised in the forums and reviews. The adults pool is now an adults pool - all the kids were using the great family pool. The service is terrific, the staff all seem to be really well trained and extremely polite and friendly - could not find fault with any staff member at all.

We had a delayed check-in as they were fully booked the night prior to our arrival and this could have been handled better - but in the scheme of things it was a small matter.

The food - breakfast was great - good selection to choose from. The evening buffets were not as good (nothing wrong with the food just not really the kind of food I like when I'm on holidays) so I would recommend choose your dinner buffets (they have a different theme every night) and also eat at the Toba Grill or for a treat at Navo .

The only downside from my viewpoint is that the hotel has a more International feel to it rather than a Fijian feel, but I enjoyed our stay and would not hesitate to recommend it to other travellers.

You will have a great stay so don't worry - relax and enjoy your Fiji experience.

Fiji
Level Contributor
469 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Intercontinental...

If you are expecting to be "blown away" then you will be disappointed, but compared to the other "5 star" chain hotels in Fiji it is terrific. I personally LOVED the room. Although small, there are lots of nice little touches which make your stay extra special. There were a lot of toddlers/babies there when I was there which suited us just fine as I also have a toddler. The food quality wasn't the greatest, but given that we were paying a really reduced rate for the room you tend to take little issues like that with a grain of salt. The staff are wonderful. I didn't find them to be any less attentive than elsewhere in Fiji (you do have to have a "relaxed" attitude in Fiji. Don't expect speedy service anywhere!!). I do think that the hotel is missing a lot of the Fijian culture in general, but I guess that's what you get when you stay at a chain!! The same could also be said about the Denarau hotels.

Brisbane Qld
Level Contributor
212 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Intercontinental...

you will be fine...the resorts are only places to eat and sleep and relax by the pool. During the day get out of the resort and experience the real Fiji. The Sigatoka fruit and vegetable market is worth a look, there is the pottery village tour, Eco Park Tourist park tour, The Waterfall Tour, The Sand Dunes Park so there is plenty to do on the Coral Coast. You can even take a local bus and travel up the coast towards Suva for an hour or two and then get off and catch another bus back. Go to a village and have a traditional lovo. There is so much to do so even if the resort is not to your liking you can get out and experience the real Fiji.

5. Re: Intercontinental...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2010, 05:19